Thread: gpr rebuild

gpr rebuild

for every body that viewed my upgrade thread i decided to go ahead with the top end rebuild. i pulled the cylinders off the other day and they look to be in pretty good shape . i do have a couple of questions for the engine builders out there, should i take the cylinders to a machine shop to be checked out and honed and also is there a special tool to use to compress the rings when i install the cylinders. this is my first rebuild and i want to be sure i am doing everything right. pistons look good and do not have any score marks on them . i did notice some carbon build up below the ring line on all three pistons and all in the same area on them. not sure if this is normal or not.

+1
    I used the large zip ties from home depot to hold the rings as the pistons went into the cylinder. I also put two stroke oil in cylinder and on piston before pushing the piston into the cylinder. I had the cylinders honed by jim at jim's performance in palm harbor, fl and used new pr-x pistons and rings. Depending on the circumstanecs of the rebuild, you may also want to check the seals in crank case, and the crankshaft while you are getting into it. michael

Quote Originally Posted by rich.allen View Post
    for every body that viewed my upgrade thread i decided to go ahead with the top end rebuild. i pulled the cylinders off the other day and they look to be in pretty good shape . i do have a couple of questions for the engine builders out there, should i take the cylinders to a machine shop to be checked out and honed and also is there a special tool to use to compress the rings when i install the cylinders. this is my first rebuild and i want to be sure i am doing everything right. pistons look good and do not have any score marks on them . i did notice some carbon build up below the ring line on all three pistons and all in the same area on them. not sure if this is normal or not.

thanks for the info, that is a great idea. i took the cylinders to a local dealer in my area for servicing, and i also had them check out the cyl. head as well.

Thread Information