Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 virage 1200 txi please help!!!!

I bought this ski about 6 months ago and only rode it once before winter and it would rev out good the lean back to abound 4500rpm, got to checking and it had low fuel pressure so out a kawasaki regulator on it and solved the pressure issue. I took it out to the lake yesterday and it still does it. It makes great power and gets on plane super fast but as soon as you get up to about 45mph its like a govener kicks in and leans the rpm back to around 4500 or 40mph. It will do it if i'm just on it or wife and kids with me, it doesn't seem to have much affect by adding weight. I'm new to the ski but have no problem working on it or tearing into it. Any help would be great!!! when the ski is out of the water it will hit the rev limiter almost instanlty,

got to messing around with the ski a lil bit and noticed ther is 2 red w/ purple wires that come of the juction blocks that have the lil 3amp fuse and a bar the connects 3 on one and 4 on the other had been cut. getting ready to splice them back together but what do they do being the ski runs good other than tops out way before rev limiter. is ther different keys they put in them depending on rider skill? I also checked compression and have 130 on all 3 cylinders and 40 volts at injectors and it slowly goes down after shut off. anu ideas would be great, going to splice these 2 back together and run it back out to the lake tommarow after work!!

Red Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Dauer33 View Post
    got to messing around with the ski a lil bit and noticed ther is 2 red w/ purple wires that come of the juction blocks that have the lil 3amp fuse and a bar the connects 3 on one and 4 on the other had been cut. getting ready to splice them back together but what do they do being the ski runs good other than tops out way before rev limiter. is ther different keys they put in them depending on rider skill? I also checked compression and have 130 on all 3 cylinders and 40 volts at injectors and it slowly goes down after shut off. anu ideas would be great, going to splice these 2 back together and run it back out to the lake tommarow after work!!
    DONT DO THAT !
    At least until you read all the Polaris info.
    I think that is a modification from a service bullitin for hard start and no warm start.
    Look for a Red/Blue wire that is spliced to solid orange. If it has that then you will be causing a problem.

There was 33 red with blue wires cut, 1 had been put back together with a wire nut. I spilced the other 2 back together and it starts and runs fine, going to take it to the lake tomorrow and see if it runs any different. When can I read the service bulitens and wiring diagrams. Is this thing just programed to only run 40mph?

I doubt its programmed like that.
    I think I read something about the Throttle Position Sensor on those and that you could match one to a GM part.
    It still sounds like the red/blue wires were part of the service bulletin but let us know what you find.
    You could be getting a timing retard causing the rpm to cutback. Depending on what circuit you might be having a temp problem. It could be connected to the fuel gauge sender too. I only have a 1996 manual but this kind of sounds like whats happening to you. Mind you this could be totally different from your ski. I dont think a lot of guys will work on those FFI's but maybe somebody that knows more than I will jump in here.

From the 96 manual:
    Engine Overheat
    If the engine overheats, the thermal switch becomes conductive and provides a ground path for the tan wire leading
    from the LR 54 module. The Multi-Function Display will display a "HOT' warning message, the warning light
    will flash, and the engine RPM will be limited to approximately 4200 RPM. A circuit within the LR 54 senses this
    overheat condition, connects the gray wire from the GDI unit to ground, and limits RPM to approximately 4200.

CDI Jumper Wire PWC-00-05

Here is the cdi jumper wire TSB for many Domestics.

Service Bulletin # PWC-00-05
    August 8, 2000

Subject
    Add Jumper Wire to CDI
    Model Affected: Serial Number Range:
    2000 Virage (W005197D) ALL
    2000 Virage TX (W005199D) ALL
    2000 Pro 1200 (W004999D) ALL
    2000 Genesis (W005099D) ALL

SCENARIO #1 MODELS WITH DUAL FUNCTION START/STOP BUTTON

Symptom: Engine will not turn over when engine is warm. After stopping the engine and trying
    to re-start the engine when warm, the starter motor will not turn over. In this scenario, the CDI
    remains powered up after the engine is shut off, causing the CDI to think the engine is still run-ning
    even though it is not. After the engine and CDI cool, it will re-start normally. Install jumper
    wire PN 2460928 to resolve this issue, following the instructions below.

SCENARIO #2 MODELS WITH SEPARATE START/STOP BUTTON

Symptom: Engine turns over but will not start when engine is warm. After stopping the engine
    and trying to re-start the engine when warm, the engine will crank, but not start. Again, in this
    scenario, the CDI remains powered up after the engine is shut off, causing the CDI to think the
    engine is still running even though it is not. After the engine and CDI cool, it will re-start normally.
    Install jumper wire PN 2460928 to resolve this issue, following the instructions below.
    Parts Required
    Quantity
    Part No. Description
    1 2460928 Harness, Jumper, PWC

Repair Procedure
    Step 1
    1. Disconnect the NEGATIVE (-) battery cable from
    the battery.
    2. Open electrical box.
    3. Disconnect RED/PURPLE wire from CDI box.
    4. Clean the FEMALE end of the RED/PURPLE wire,
    disconnected in the previous step and apply electri-cal
    tape to seal the open end. Tuck the FEMALE
    end of the RED/PURPLE wire under the CDI box.
    RED/PURPLE wire from CDI
    PWC-00-05 Page 2 of 2
    Step 2
    1. Install the RED/PURPLE end of the jumper wire,
    PN2460928, on to RED/PURPLE MALEconnector
    from the CDI box.
    2. Install the open ORANGE connector end to the
    open ORANGE spade on the terminal board.
    Step 3
    1. Once the jumper wire is connected, carefully pack
    the wires inside the electrical box cover, making
    sure that wires are not kinked or damaged on any
    internal component. Install the electrical box on the
    mounting plate and lock the latches.
    Wrap with electrical tape,
    tuck under CDI
    Connect RED/PURPLE
    jumper wire to RED/
    PURPLE male connec-tor
    from CDI box.
    Connect open ORANGE end to the
    ORANGE spade connector on the
    terminal board.
    2. Reconnect the NEGATIVE (-) battery cable to the
    NEGATIVE battery terminal.

Customer Notification

Please perform this Service Bulletin on all affected units in your inventory. Contact owners of delivered
    units immediately and make arrangements to perform this warranty repair.
    Sincerely,
    POLARIS SALES INC.

Thanks for the replying. It was way to windy to ride it today. I put the wires back together and haven't had a chance to run it on the water. This thing runs so good, it doesn't hesitate, studded miss or anything. It starts, idles, and builds great power and them it just cuts back and cruises along. Can I unhock the fuel sensor or is it in the same harness as fuel pump. There is a polaris dealer close buy but im sure they would look at me stupid if I showed up with it there and I can't ever get myself to take anything to a dealer or shop unless there paying the bill!

I think the wires he is referring to is to the water injection which has likely been disconnected, its not needed for the engine to run properly. The service info you listed above does not apply to his ski, its a FICHT fuel injected ski and it does not have a CDI, it has a EMM. However, the EMM will log an error code of 144 with it disconnected. Looking at the wire diagram red/purple goes there. Do you have the correct plugs installed? NGK PZFR6H spark plugs are the ONLY spark plugs you can use in the Ficht engines (Virage i, Virage TXi, Genesis FFI, Genesis i, MSX 140). No substitutes. Also, check this page out http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ and read up on your ski. Lots of great info there courtesy of K447.

Yes your are right. An EMM .
    I still didnt think hooking those wires back without knowing what they went to was a good a idea. Thanks for jumping in.
    I PM'd him and sent several pdfs on Ficht diagnoses I had saved. I wish we could post PDF's
    There is a ton of info on this site but could get lost if links change at all. PDF's could stay with the threads.

No problem. What mile maker you live on? We visit there often and have a bunch of family houses there on the lake. As for info, the link I posted above has all the manuals etc, just look around. Will be interested to know if he has the correct plugs installed. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information