New to the Water Toy's

Just bought gp 1200 questions

Hello all, just picked up a 98 gp1200 for a steal of a price for a buddy but im trying to find some information on it...

he said the previous owner rebuilt the motor with higher
    compression pistons, requires 93 octane. (any reason as to why?)
    aftermarket ride plate
    Aftermarket water inlet grate
    - he disconnected the oil pump and am
    running pre-mix, has a Primer bulb
    installed in the factory choke location for perfect startability
    - Nu Jet impeller
    Adjustable sponsoons for cornering.

pics can be seen at
    http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...etski/?start=0

i guess my question is can anyone name the "aftermarket ride plate, and water inlet grate" and can you notice if anything else has been done to the ski that i dont know about? He got it in on trade and then just sold it to me so theres really not much information. Theres also some paper work for a shop i guess doing some head work it on (ill have to get that information) that ill post up.

Any recomendations on the next step for this ski? Sorry im a newb when it comes to skis its an absolutle blaste to ride and does 73 on the guage on the dash (im assuming 67 on gps ) would love to hit 75 in this ski.

Also i have been searching this forum...holy information overload

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04SRTurbo View Post
    Hello all, just picked up a 98 gp1200 for a steal of a price for a buddy but im trying to find some information on it...

he said the previous owner rebuilt the motor with higher
    compression pistons, requires 93 octane. (any reason as to why?)
    aftermarket ride plate
    Aftermarket water inlet grate
    - he disconnected the oil pump and am
    running pre-mix, has a Primer bulb
    installed in the factory choke location for perfect startability
    - Nu Jet impeller
    Adjustable sponsoons for cornering.

pics can be seen at
    http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...etski/?start=0

i guess my question is can anyone name the "aftermarket ride plate, and water inlet grate" and can you notice if anything else has been done to the ski that i dont know about? He got it in on trade and then just sold it to me so theres really not much information. Theres also some paper work for a shop i guess doing some head work it on (ill have to get that information) that ill post up.

Any recomendations on the next step for this ski? Sorry im a newb when it comes to skis its an absolutle blaste to ride and does 73 on the guage on the dash (im assuming 67 on gps ) would love to hit 75 in this ski.

Also i have been searching this forum...holy information overload
    Nice find, whadya pay for it. The ski looks pretty much stock from the pics. Can't see any pics of bottom of ride plate or intake grate.Ride plate looks stock from pic.Stock these skis will do 56-58 mph gps.Depends on what was done to head and or domes replaced as to what you need for fuel. I use 93 octane on everything, not worth burning it up.Those are the stock Yamaha sponsons. I'm sure somebody else can give you more info you post more pics or info.

+1
    As far as I know only an aftermarket head would raise compression requiring you to run higher octane. That is a very nice example just like the 98 I had. I regret selling it it was a great machine. Anyways post a pic of the engine head and perhaps do a compression test. I would just ride it the way it is.

New to the Water Toy's
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    Nice find, whadya pay for it. The ski looks pretty much stock from the pics. Can't see any pics of bottom of ride plate or intake grate.Ride plate looks stock from pic.Stock these skis will do 56-58 mph gps.Depends on what was done to head and or domes replaced as to what you need for fuel. I use 93 octane on everything, not worth burning it up.Those are the stock Yamaha sponsons. I'm sure somebody else can give you more info you post more pics or info.
    thanks man
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    As far as I know only an aftermarket head would raise compression requiring you to run higher octane. That is a very nice example just like the 98 I had. I regret selling it it was a great machine. Anyways post a pic of the engine head and perhaps do a compression test. I would just ride it the way it is.
    ill get pics in a few weeks when i pick up the 3 seater from the shop and take it back to the storage. ughh is it spring yet??

I was hoping to mod it a bit to beat my buddys rxp that does 76 on gps but i guess ill just have to upgrade .. ohhh darn.... haha

Thread Information