Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT immediately jumped to 4 - 5K RPM????

I have spent the winter rebuilding the engine of an 05 RXT I bought with a MAJOR SC failure. I spent this weekend putting the engine back in the machine and just test fired it a couple minutes ago. The good news is that it runs, but it immediately took off to 4000 - 5000RPM. I only let it run a couple seconds at that speed. Started it 4 times all with the same result. It had about a gallon of old gas (still smelled like gas not varnish), and I put 5 gallons of fresh. Also this has a XCharger and stock injectors. I think that is all the important details at the moment. What would make it take off like that - I am not touching the throttle and the throttle body is in the idle position.

Thanks,
    Greg

+1
    Either throttle body is not closing properly or you have a vacuum leak

Idle speed control valve might be stuck open also.

I happen to have another project 4tec, so I borrowed the Idle Control Valve and swapped it into this RXT - results were the same.

Let me give you all a couple more details. I have it on the stand and no water hooked up yet. Since it is not being run in the water, would it run away because it has no resistance and is running the xcharger - more boost?
    I am running on the learning key - which I assume is why it stops at 4 to 5K RPM?

Is there a typical place to expect an air leak?

I disconnect the hose from the SC to the Throttle Body and it still jumps to 4K+ so it is sucking air from somewhere else. Is it reasonable to think that maybe the intake manifold isn't seat propery at the bottome of the manifold. It seems to be hitting on all 3 cylinders so I think it is drawing air into all somewhat equally.

Pinched throttle cable or leaky intercooler?

+1
    Have you reset the tps ?
    Sounds more likely an air leak to throttle body or mani though.

Quote Originally Posted by 8 is enough View Post
    Pinched throttle cable or leaky intercooler?
    Not a pinched cable as the cable is slightly loose where it connects to the TB butterfly allowing the butterfly to close completely. However, I have thought about the intercooler also as I had to remove it to clean all the oil and aluminum dust out of the manifold. However when you say leaking IC, do you mean a leak between the IC and the manifold? Should I order a new gasket to be safe - it does not look like this one would be easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    Have you reset the tps ?
    Sounds more likely an air leak to throttle body or mani though.
    How do you reset the Throttle Position Sensor?
    I had removed the TB from the manifold to clean out the manifold. I installed a new gasket when I put the TB back on, is there a wrong way to put the gasket on? I did not put new gaskets in the manifold as they were not part of the gasket kit - why does Seadoo include a TB gasket, but not manifold gaskets??

Quote Originally Posted by ghlenz View Post
    How do you reset the Throttle Position Sensor?
    I had removed the TB from the manifold to clean out the manifold. I installed a new gasket when I put the TB back on, is there a wrong way to put the gasket on? I did not put new gaskets in the manifold as they were not part of the gasket kit - why does Seadoo include a TB gasket, but not manifold gaskets??
    If you removed the TPS from the throttle body it MUST be reset. If you didn't lossen the screws then it's probably an air leak somewhere or idle speed control.

To reset the TPS you need a CANDooPro or Buds....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information