Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question thru hull vs power pipe

I was wondering if there is a diffrence between the thruhull exhaust and power pipe type of exhaust other than the obvious like where they exit, is there any performence gains over another?

Quote Originally Posted by RxPrider View Post
    I was wondering if there is a diffrence between the thruhull exhaust and power pipe type of exhaust other than the obvious like where they exit, is there any performence gains over another?
    I`m pretty sure the whole objective of the thru hull is to provide room for use with an aftermarket intercooler. Comparing the thru hull to the stock mushy rubber hose you have a few advantages: you get rid of the rubber hose which can collapse or burn thru over time and the stock system is restrictive. The thru hull will flow more/better than stock and will last provided it`s the metal pipes. The power pipes that use the stock exhaust exit replace the stock rubber hose and can be used with the Rotax racing IC, this is a good alternative if you don`t want to drill a large hole in the hull...
    IMHO, I had the power pipe, I think it`s a little to loud at no-wake speeds for me, but does sound great at idle and when cruising, has a nice growl to it. it does have an annoying resonance at 2500-3500rpms...
    the thru hull`s, place all the exhaust components on the same side of the ski, very simple connections, lets the engine breathe alittle better, and IMHO sound great! Look great! gives the ski some attitude...
    Comparing the 2, I can`t say if the pipes are tuned, and it all boils down to what mods you are running and what your future mods will be...if you are going to eventually run an aftermarket IC then decide which one and pick your pipe. If you are never going to add an aftermarket IC then go with the power pipe for simplicity and some decent sound...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-13-2007 at 08:02 PM.

+1
    I don't think there is any performance difference between the two. But I like the sound of the thru hull better. And if you work on the ski much, it is nice to have the exhaust on the same side of the ski as the waterbox. It cuts down on the work.

+1
    PR, So with a PPG power pipe I can use the rotax IC in the future or were you talking about the rotax PP? As far as sound goes the ppg one has a resonator built in & the rotax looks to be open all the way through. Whats the diff between the rotax IC & others the be able to use it with a power pipe.

ou8: I`m pretty sure since PPG is also a rotax dealer that they designed their pipe to be used with the rotax set-up. for futher info you could search PPG`s site and check it out. at on time PPG even had their own connector tubes, don`t know if this still holds true.
    The mounting locations for the 2 IC`s are the dif. the RR IC is closer to the TB and the Riva if farther away tucked into the pocket a little more.
    Maybe someone here will post pics of the rotax ic with the power pipe set-up...
    I would think thet the rotax pipe is also designed for use with their IC, maybe Jer can comment on this one...PR...

the resonated power pipe is a bit quieter and there is a tunning dif between the 2 of them. one has slightly more back pressure...
    PM screen name "Danny" about this one...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-13-2007 at 08:18 PM.

At 3000 rpm's, the PPG pipe is obnoxious! Thru-Hull sounds more turbine than baffling! I could not speak or hear over the power-pipe. It did serve it's purpose or the rubber hose collapsing under pressure!

+1
    Well you can use a XSpower IC with the power pipe also.

I did it and it runs Flawless and had my RRIC by about 75-100RPM's.

here ya go. It is in there like a ROCK and I used the old style RR bracket.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03463.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	14353  

Austin that install is Jammin brotha!...PR...

+1
    Thanks, It is very Simple also. Need to get with Superduty to make me anothere bracket as I am gonna do this to my Sons RXP.

so from what i've read the power pipe is louder than the thru hull or no?...thankx

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information