Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 260x Supercharger seized

I have a 2011 260x with the supercharger seized probably due to me not taking care of it well enough after sea use. I'm considering now fitting a supercharger from a Volkswagen Golf that's a much more compact and better design, hopefully it will also be way more reliable. Obviously I'll need a custom kit that I've found a builder for, does anyone out there have an opinion on likely causes of superchargers seizing or weather this custom modification idea of mine is a good one? Cheers. Edward

+1
    the oem one is perfectly good enough if you look after it, fog it and keep it dry from saltwater. good luck if you pull the conversion off but im guessing it wont be easy

3. +1 by:

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    While you're at it... http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/OurCompan...eases/98065704 (found while searching ways to declutch a blower).
    If you end up doing something with the Golf blower, please keep us apprised!

5. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra260LX View Post
    I have a 2011 260x with the supercharger seized probably due to me not taking care of it well enough after sea use. I'm considering now fitting a supercharger from a Volkswagen Golf that's a much more compact and better design, hopefully it will also be way more reliable. Obviously I'll need a custom kit that I've found a builder for, does anyone out there have an opinion on likely causes of superchargers seizing or weather this custom modification idea of mine is a good one? Cheers. Edward
    Not really worth the money for the gains. Like. Corey said stock one is fine if u look after it. If u really want to retrofit a new sc then put one off a 300x on there. A new driveshaft and some mounting hardware and u should be able to make it work.

I'm doing it because the golf supercharger looks way stronger and better designed and they are cheap and freely available second hand. what's the best price on an oem s/c unit new or refurb or if i refurb mine?

Banned User
    +1
    New 1200. Used 6-800

I guess that's what my conversion will cost me approx. thanks for the info.

+1
    have you thought about the extra costs involved in retuning it?

my friend who's doing it seems to think it's just an adjustment to the boost pressure/waste valve, don't know the proper name for it, sure you do

2009 260 X. 165 hrs. More than one motor but original SC. This motor is almost new. 100% salt use. Removed SC belt shield to improve fresh water rinse. What are the possible modes of SC failure? Trying to diagnose shriek/howl when I crank throttle with ski on hose in driveway. Engine starts right away, idles fine , fixed *^$%@* trumpet so thats not it. Plugs and oil fine. Just cleaned IC. Spotty fogging I admit, but only since NJack said OEM oil overflow regulator rollover protection system (ie catch can) provides automatic SC foggin on these Ultras. I am prepared to accept SC is shot and needs replacement. Got 3 years of salt use. But, will it shriek like that or just stop turning?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information