Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Does Anyone Know What The Frequency Output (Speed) Is From The Riva SCOM For 300X?

I'm curious because if the SCOM output is constant (which I suspect it is), AND above the KSS threshold, what are the potential ACTUAL SLOW SPEED maneuverability interaction(s).

To my knowledge the KSS works from the engine RPM and not the speed, I have tried injecting a frequency of 190hz "37.3Mph" into the ECU and it worked for me and did not mess with the KSS.

+1
    PERFECT! Thanks... I'm obviously adding the Riva SCOM, and still contemplating disabling the KSS. I'm not convinced it is helpful, and in a couple of instances it surprised me when it engaged... Any thoughts on just removing the magnet from the steering arm instead of unplugging the hall effect sensor to disable the KSS? My thought is to not leave the sensor/ECU connections exposed. Without the magnet causing signal transition I'm supposing the ECU won't activate the KSS regardless of "engine RPM". AGAIN thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jones View Post
    PERFECT! Thanks... I'm obviously adding the Riva SCOM, and still contemplating disabling the KSS. I'm not convinced it is helpful, and in a couple of instances it surprised me when it engaged... Any thoughts on just removing the magnet from the steering arm instead of unplugging the hall effect sensor to disable the KSS? My thought is to not leave the sensor/ECU connections exposed. Without the magnet causing signal transition I'm supposing the ECU won't activate the KSS regardless of "engine RPM". AGAIN thanks for your reply!
    Im not sure but i think it may be the opposite, if the magnet moves away the kss will kick in. hard to tell from the pics in the manual but if there is only 1 magnet and a logic high in forward direction i would say the magnet needs to stay. Just unplug it like the other guys.

Looking further into the manual it seems even stranger that simply unplugging the kss module removes that function, 12v going strait 0 v full lock. ECU must have internal pullup resistors

+1
    I agree there is probably a pull-up resistor internal to the ECU. I'll unplug the sensor and measure the ECU side of the connection, and see if the sensor signal input is pulled up.

Using that logic, the sensor would activate (sink) in the right or left lock position. This would explain why simply unpluging the sensor works. OR as I stated earlier the ECU is just looking for transitions (high to low). In either case the magnet can be removed to deactivate the the KSS.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    why all this discussion when its proven just unplug it and it will be disabled

talking about trying to reinvent the wheel

Waz

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    why all this discussion when its proven just unplug it and it will be disabled

talking about trying to reinvent the wheel

Waz
    he doesn't want to just leave it unplugged.....

+1
    Those of you in salt water should be particularly interested in the thought of protecting electrical connections... As most are well aware salt water is VERY corrosive / conductive. AND it just so happens that the KSS Sensor is powered by the Display (meter). The same 10-VDC from the Display that powers the KSS Sensor also powers the Speed Sensor. As I stated earlier, I'm trying to discover a method to protect the connections, and achieve the same results (disabling the KSS). PERIOD! I'd LOVE to find mating covers for the connections to seal them (like the Diagnostic Port), BUT that answer doesn't seem to be easily executed.

So to that end, I've removed the KSS sensor from it's mounting position, left it connected, and tied it up in the harness behind the ECU cluster. As it turns out the magnet is not easily removed...

The measurements I've made have the KSS Sensor signal input to the ECU pulled up to 5-VDC.

Stay tuned, us Engineers just might be able to teach you something as we "reinvent the wheel"...

Banned User
    +1
    Pack it full of water proof grease and tape it up and call it a day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information