XP800 '97 high compression head

Hi I'm new on this web site and my english is not perfect so it's possible that I make mistake :P

SO! I own a '97 XP800 and it's completly stock, this summer I plan to put a high compression head on it but I want to know if I'll need to run special gaz, or if I'll need to make others modification to run it safe.... I heard a lot of people that they says it can reduce a lot the lifetime of the engine...is it true? is there a way to make it run safely?

thank you for your help :P

15 views and no answers.... My english is it bad that much?! LOLL

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    More info can be found using the search on this forum or try this http://groupk.com/ . Old school site that has some good technical info.

+1
    I heard that the high compression head of ADA works great. you can also mill the stock head as long as you keep it under 190 psi. anything over will require racing gas. I would use 98 octane gas in it with a high compression head. I also would rejet the carbs. To make the best of it and really make it come alive, swap the impeller, factory pipe spec exhaust, ADA head 190 psi domes. Flame arrestors are on the market for this engine, but the bracket that is needed to hold the carbs is very hard to come by. I would drill some hole in the OEM flame arrestor to make it breath better. Check also on groupk.com for more info on what and what not to do on these engines.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    keep it simple what ever you do. these motors are already built to preform at the top end. as for modifications such as a high comp head, you can do an ADA, buckshot or blackjack ect. you can run 89 octane or 92 octane with this. you can also add flame arrestors and a rejet kit as mentioned above. both are great easy mods. neither require race gas as long as you keep it under 175psi not 190psi. it all depends on what base gasket you have. if you have stock you may be ok you will just have to check when you get the head on what your squish is. what ever you do, do NOT get a Factory Pipe Spec II. Its made for racing only and not recreational rider friendly. you can run a rossier, coffmans, or a neptune pipe that are safer for the engine but as you add all this extra HP and stress on the engine i bet you only get 150 hours out of the engine. psot up if you have more questions...your english is not bad, better than most that can speak it Welcome to GH!

the high compression head is made by Westcoast....I don't know if somebody here know that compagny... and for the gaz here in Qc the higher we can found at the pump is 94 so I want something that can run with this or less.... :P

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bedard16 View Post
    the high compression head is made by Westcoast....I don't know if somebody here know that compagny... and for the gaz here in Qc the higher we can found at the pump is 94 so I want something that can run with this or less.... :P
    do you have the head already? if you do put it on and I can walk you through on how to check the squish and determine if you need a higher grade of fuel or not.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    do you have the head already? if you do put it on and I can walk you through on how to check the squish and determine if you need a higher grade of fuel or not.
    I'll get it in my possession Friday Night....But you can tell me what to check on it when i'll get it friday...:P

Thread Information