Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2003 4-tec GTX half speed/power

Test rode a 4 stroke GTX 4-tec non-supercharged 155hp version and on the trailer it would rev to 7k+ rpm, but when on the water, it only ran 30ish mph at 5k. It was the regular key and not the learning key. The red light on the engine rpm gauge would flash. Know nothing about these and just looking for a simple ski for the family. Any ideas? Search had more results for supercharged skis.

Did you run it again on the trailer afterward? Did it run fine once again? And is it flashing rpm on the lcd display or is the caution light lighting up?

+1
    Ran fine on trailer and the caution light is flashing red on the rpm side.

Well does it seem to run smooth when the light comes on? No missing or anything?

+1
    The rev limiter on that ski is 7600 rpm. There are a couple variables running the ski on a trailer verse open water. For one, the pump may not be fully submerged.

My first guess is that when you rev'ed the engine to 7,000+ RPM on the trailer, you sucked up some debris, rocks, sticks, etc and trashed the prop and/or wear ring. Remember, these pumps can suck up rocks from 4 or 5 feet, maybe more. Running full throttle is not good on the trailer.

Get under the ski with a flashlight and look into the intake grate at the wear ring and impeller. You are looking for bad gouges, scrapes or scratches in the wear ring and/or bent, dinged or broken impeller blades. Take a look and report back. --J

EDIT: Did you buy this ski? If you didn't, I would consider walking away from it. It may not be anything big/major, but it shows the type of condition the previous owner kept it. I wouldn't try to sell anything without making sure it was 100% first, you know?!

And the red light has me puzzled for some reason...makes it sound more serious than severe pump cavitation.

I didn't see test rode for some reason, be very carefull buying skis, they are exspensive to fix up! Find one that was kept very well.

Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar
    likely a bad fuel injector. I had the EXACT same problem with mine (03 GTX supercharged). I had just bought it used and thought it may have been the supercharger slipping so I had it re-built just incase only to have it make no difference. On the trailer it sounded and reved normally. But in the water under load I had the same symptoms. I checked for spark on all three spark plugs and it was fine. The problem ended up just being a bad fuel injector. Its a $80 fix

+1
    As much as I wanted a non supercharger Seadoo, I had to pass on it. I was actually test riding it when noticed it did not rev up past 5k and no faster than 30 on the speedo. This was an 03 GTX non supercharged. It was running seemingly fine on a trailer in thew guys driveway with hose attached and hitting 7k+ rpms. Was also concerned with the service light blinking and the ride plate had some sort of sealant coming off from the edges. Seemed someone did that after the fact. Price was ok, but not worth the headache

Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar
    Same applies supercharged or non-supercharged. Both are injected. When it is on the trailer without a load and power not being a factor, the computer is so good at compensating for the non-fireing cylinder that you won't be able to tell. But when its under load thats when you notice the lack of power. Try this....on the trailer take off the top plastic engine cover and start it up and give it a quick rev. Now shut it off and disconect one of the plug wires and start it up again. Then reconnect it and try one of the other cylinders until you've done all 3. If you have a bad injector, plug, coil etc that is not letting one of the cylinders fire you will know know when you pull the plug on the bad cylinder because it won't make a difference when you start it back up. When you pull the plug on one of the two firing cylinders you will know because you will notice a definate changed because only one cylinder will working now.
    You can then take the plug out of the non-firing cylinder that you find and check it for spark, If there is spark, then its likely a fuel issue (Iinjector).

My ski had been stored for about 8 months and put fresh gas in and it was running really bad. Three new spark plugs made such a difference, its cheap so why not try it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information