Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Should I buy a 03 msx-140?

Hi,
    I am new here and have a question.
    There is a guy near me that is selling his 03 Polaris msx-140 that has a blown motor.
    How expensive is it to rebuild the motor?
    Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Hulk! Its according to what they are asking for the ski and what condition its in. You say it has a blown motor, what exactly is wrong with it. Did it melt a piston down? Cheers.

+1
    Thank you!
    The motor is described as " seized". The body looks to be in great shape with about 70 hrs on it
    I dont know too much about it. Its about an hour and half drive for me so I kinda want to figure out whether or not its worth it.
    The price is about $900 including a trailer

+1
    Money wise, whats the worst case scinario as far as rebuilding motors go?

+1
    I'm of the opinion that if the price is good, just buy it with the worst possibly scenario at hand. That way you can only be in for "good surprises". Depending on what is wrong you should calculate anything up to about $2k to fix, which is about the price of a full core exchange.

+1
    $2k, is that US money? And does that include labor?

+1
    Unless you plan doing the work yourself otherwise it may not much of an advantage for that price.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlips723 View Post
    $2k, is that US money? And does that include labor?
    No, if you are going to get a marine mechanic to do your work I wouldn't buy any ski with a blown engine at any price. You would be better off looking to buy a good runner instead. If you are willing to learn and do some wrenching then it could be your thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    No, if you are going to get a marine mechanic to do your work I wouldn't buy any ski with a blown engine at any price. You would be better off looking to buy a good runner instead. If you are willing to learn and do some wrenching then it could be your thing.
    No, unfortunately I couldnt do anything like that. I was actually reading another post where you had helped someone to buy a msx 140 that had to be totally rebuilt and the gentleman had posted lots of pictures as he was going a long. Even though I read everything, I couldnt even understand 90% of the sh^t that was being talked about.
    So doing the work myself is out of question

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlips723 View Post
    No, unfortunately I couldnt do anything like that. I was actually reading another post where you had helped someone to buy a msx 140 that had to be totally rebuilt and the gentleman had posted lots of pictures as he was going a long. Even though I read everything, I couldnt even understand 90% of the sh^t that was being talked about.
    So doing the work myself is out of question
    That's fair enough, not everyone likes to wrench though most guys here get their kicks out of it. Problem with getting a ski repaired is that generally there is a markup on price and these things can be labor intensive. Everyone's gotta make a living and whoever does the work has to provide a warranty. That will cost $$$, which I would use to buy an already running ski if I had to make that decision. It's a personal thing, maybe you could leave a deposit on the basis that you get a quote for repairs to seal the deal. Just be wary.

And don't worry about not understanding 90% of the stuff being discussed. When I bought my first ski 2 years ago I was more like 100% clueless. I'm only about 50% clueless now after having a handful of skis and doing some builds I'm learning new stuff here all the time, which is what makes it a great place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information