Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keep getting water in freshly rebuilt pump

'99 XPL bronze pump. I rebuilt the pump probably not even 10 hrs ago. Saturday was the third time i checked and changed the oil and it was milky. I took my imp out and check the seals and bearings and everything appears to be good. The only thing that has my thinking it may be leaking is the cone fill hole. Those plastic threads are pretty much gone. Ive tried using plumbers tape, 1211 and ultra black to seal it. It either doesnt set up cause the oil or gets washed away. So i guess i just need to replace the cone. So what aftermarket pump cones are good? The adjust-a-thrust is interesting, but dont know if its worth the money. Opinions?

Thanks

+1
    the oem pump cone is fine-- I have worked on skis w/ 500 hrs. w/ the original cones and no water was in the oil.

When I have problems with water in a rebuilt pump i preassure test it in a bucket of water with a pop off preassure tester. I made fitting out of a barbed fitting frome lowes. Then you will find the leak.

ok thanks. any idea what threads those are in the cone? or i should say what they are supposed to be cause mine are pretty much gone?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on the pressure check..you can find water problems most of the time that way. If you have a pin hole in the casting..well that could be tricky. Don't cheap out and buy a new cone and use the suggested sealant when putting all the bits together. I have to fix lots of pumps here that were done by boat shops that don't know the specifics of jetskis. no sealant..silicon, wrong oil...one shop actually left out the fill plug!

The threads are npt btw..don't know the size but I've always been able to find barb fittings for it at a local hardware store. Makes hooking up the vac/pressur tester easy. Test it without oil first..makes finding the leak a whole lot easier.

thanks guys

I think the size is 1/4" NPT. Take the plug with you and thread it into a female fitting at the hardware store so you will know for sure. The sealant he is refering to is Loctite 518, I had a hard time finding it until I found that Permatex 515 Anerobic Flange Sealant is the same thing. Napa had no clue what LocTite 518 was but I looked at their shelf and they had the Permatex. Seadoo uses it on many parts so it is nice to have.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    bigger suppliers stock the 518 got mine at autozone it was a special order at our smaller store out here

great info. thanks guys. ordered an adjust a thrust anyway though because next time im home ill be going to the lake and im positive its the cone leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    great info. thanks guys. ordered an adjust a thrust anyway though because next time im home ill be going to the lake and im positive its the cone leaking
    It is the fill plug more than likely. had the same problem and if memory serves me they are 1/8 inch npt. I would pressure test and it would check out fine but kept getting water in it. That oe plug is a pain to get started right due to the plastic. I drilled and tapped it out to 1/4 inch pipe thread and put a larger plug in it, problem solved. I do agree with pressure testing every time you change out the oil. It will let you know right away if you have rolled the oring or are having a seal problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information