Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Went riding today, had some drama...

High today at Lake Mead was 39 degrees. Water temp is around 54 degrees. My dad and I talked each other to go out and try out our new to us 2004 RXP and 2005 RXT. We put the boats in the water and idle through the no wake zone. After the half mile idle out I gave the RXP some gas and was on my way. I looked back and saw my dad going slow. I figured he was cold. I ride around and then see my dad stopped in the water. I ride over and he said the ski is acting like it's bogging. RPMs go up to 4500-5000 RPM and then the ski falls on its face. I had him try aother key, but it did the same thing. I was thinking maybe the SC clutch washers are shot? I have him idle in. While idling in, the ski was running bad. RPMs would vary from 1400 to 1900. My dad was really bummed, he figured something was really wrong. So we pull the skis out of the water. I fired up the RXT and it sounded like it was running weird. Sounded to me like it was missing. No error codes or anything so I figured it was the SC washers or something.

I call up Jesse at Proshop Motorsports in Henderson, NV and he said we could bring the ski in but they couldn't look at it till tuesday since they are off sunday and monday. Well, we were planning on leaving to go back to California on monday. So we trailer the skis to Proshop Motorsports figuring the RXT would have to stay a week or longer. As we pull in I see Terry's (terryt) truck. I go back and talk to Jon who is the mechanic and he comes out and fires up the ski. He did agree it was not running right. He leaves and comes back with some tools. He takes apart the ski in like 3 seconds, pulls the plugs out, puts new ones in and fires up the boat. Idles great. He said one of the plugs fouled because it was so cold out this morning when we went to ride. So $15 later we were set. Much nicer than a SC washer install and cleaning the oil pumps.

Terry's ski is pretty insane. Looks great. Terry got a new ATV with some NICE rims and tires. I'm jealous.

So we trailered the skis back out to Lake Mead and went riding. Skis ran perfectly. After the long idle out I told my dad to nail the throttle and hold on. He said alright and nailed the throttle. The look on his face was a mix of complete terror and excitment all at once. It was awesome. The RXP ran 69.4 mph with a full tank of gas. We only rode 9 miles because it was getting dark and the air temp was dropping fast. i hope to beak 70 mph tomorrow.

Excellent! cool it was cheap repair...PR...

Someone told me you can make a normal yellow DESS key a learning key. Is this true? Can i just take the key into the dealership or does the ski need to be there too?

+1
    You can make any key anything. Sorry to say it is in the skis computer that makes it what it is so you will have to take the ski to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRXP View Post
    You can make any key anything. Sorry to say it is in the skis computer that makes it what it is so you will have to take the ski to the dealer.
    That's right, I forgot. You progam the key to the ski, not the ski to the key. I forgot.

+1
    Was that a stage 1 RXP or a stocker with the 69.4 mph?

+1
    rendog read his Sig.

Keith, if you're getting 69.4 with a full tank on the seat I bet you get 70 in superman. by 1/2 tank you'll be close to 71 if not on it & 1/4 you're well over 71. You'll ride mine next weekend it's a 71+ ski now & with the repitched stock prop & my NEW 3 blade 13/18 i'm hoping for 72+ with one of those props on my stg 1.25 hehe

+1
    That why I was asking. seems with the cold weather he's riding in , he should be going a bit faster. But full of fuel, I can understand!

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    rendog read his Sig.

Keith, if you're getting 69.4 with a full tank on the seat I bet you get 70 in superman. by 1/2 tank you'll be close to 71 if not on it & 1/4 you're well over 71. You'll ride mine next weekend it's a 71+ ski now & with the repitched stock prop & my NEW 3 blade 13/18 i'm hoping for 72+ with one of those props on my stg 1.25 hehe
    Yea, I think 71 is possible on 1 or 2 bars of fuel. I never even got close to half a tank. Just to cold to ride a long time.

I think I'm going to fill the ride plate holes next time I'm up here. Was that hard to do?

Is 8150 rpm with the 14/19R prop normal? It gets to 8150 real fast and then just stops climbing.

Also, if my math is correct, with a full tank of gas, thats an extra 111 pounds. Thats like a whole person.
    Last edited by KeithKman; 01-14-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendog View Post
    That why I was asking. seems with the cold weather he's riding in , he should be going a bit faster. But full of fuel, I can understand!
    Yup. 15.9 gallons of fuel is a lot of weight. Plus, we are at 1128 above sea level if that matters at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information