Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damaged Pump Housing Sucked in Rock

Ok, so i just picked up my 2008 RXP used last year. I am at 88 hours on it (bought it at 52) i am doing all of the 100hr maintenence such as the supercharger and I am pulling the pump to grease the splines/new wear ring for the season. This was the first time I pulled the pump. It would appear that the previous owner had sucked up a rock and it did a nice little number to the housing. This doesnt suprise me as the guy told me he was upset about it because he babied it and then let his parents take it down to the lake for the summer and they shored it a couple of times . I am sure that as they were doing it they sucked up a rock and did this. Anyways as you can see, the rock went clean through the wear ring and smacked off of the housing and caused it to bow out a bit and give a minor hairline fracture in a couple of places. Do you guys think that i should heat up that area and try to tap it back down with a block of wood and a hammer? The way I see it is that when i put the new wear ring in there, it will cover all of that up anyways so the performance will not be affected too much. I drove it all last summer completely oblivious to the fact that it was like that. The crack doesnt seem too bad structurally and i will keep an eye on it and see if it got any worse next summer. Since i am redoing the supercharger this summer, i might upgrade my impeller next summer/get a new or used housing or something. There is also some minor impellor damage which I will probably file it flush. I was wondering if anyone out there has ever sucked anything up like this and if i should worry about it?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	267391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	267392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	267393  

Let me see pics of prop.
    Let me see more pics of pump.

So far....

You have 3 optitions.
    1. Buy new/used pump.
    2. JBWeld cracks while letting dry in a vice with the cracked areas pushed in a little, tricky.
    3. Let it ride.

Regardless don't file prop down. If your not doing crazy mods send me your prop we have 3 stages. You will be happy.
    Or buy new prop if your going to mod the ski big time.
    Of course you need a new wear ring.
    If your doing all this by yourself when done dont fire up ski when done. Make sure pump is in water or you might damage wear ring. Run water at least in pump if you just have to fire up.

Hope this helps good luck.
    We carry everything or go anyplace that has a good rep...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    on top of the housing issues..I would suspect the pump bearings may have been damaged. Keep a close eye on this. Frankly speaking I deal with lots of rock ingestion and have not seen anything like this. This rock ( or whatever it was) wedged between the impeller and housing while the engine was at speed..we have granite here and it typically tears the wear ring and impeller up pretty good.

I'd suggest a new/used housing..and be prepared to repalce the bearings too.

SBT does a decent job at a basic impeller refinish,,haven't had a problem there yet with an impeller, but there are a few other places you can get the impeller redone. You want EVERYTHING a that end of the boat to be perfect..Letting it ride only applies if you can barely make gas money. Cheap out on jet pump repairs and you could sink it if the imbalance gets to the point where the shaft seal is compromised.

+1
    Don't fix it.... get a new or used good pump housing and a new impeller!

Thanks for the replies...I checked the bearings, they are tight as a nun. There is no play at all. I have also uploaded a pic of the prop, the blade that hit the rock and a pic of part of the rock that was lodged in the seal. I don't think that the damage seems too bad on the prop compared to what it could have been. What do you guys think? I went 40 hours on it last year and never had more than a half a cup of water drain from the plugs after a full day of riding so the carbon seal is going good with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	267407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	267410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	267411

+1
    You will have more time and money in fixing than whats its worth and still have a pos when your done. Check ebay for a used good condition one

+1
    Check the classifieds here for an impeller and a used pump and check the bearings. Get a new wear ring. Be done with it.

So if i get the new housing/impeller, what other parts would you recommend getting as well such as bearings, seals etc...doesnt seem like bearings would be something you would transfer from one to the other...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhm1138 View Post
    So if i get the new housing/impeller, what other parts would you recommend getting as well such as bearings, seals etc...doesnt seem like bearings would be something you would transfer from one to the other...
    order a pump bearing rebuild kit, it comes with everything you need to rebuild the pump. you can re use the impeller shaft, your going to need the right size sockets and a press to get the bearings in, or get the special oem seal/bearing pusher tool.

You never noticed this riding the pwc? That had to have terrible cavitation. That impeller is roached.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information