Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99' 1200 XL LTD Acting Weird

I just bought two ski's a 98 and 99 1200's and I just about have them all running good but on my '99 when I try and do circle spins or take off fast it makes the sound like it isn't getting any water to the jet and really doesn't do anything, it's like a delay and sounds like it is sucking air but the ass of the ski is not out of water. It runs really good, idles good, runs smooth and tops out at about 55 with my fat ass on it so which is what has me puzzled. It doesn't seem to have any low end power at all. My '98 goes like crazy and I can spin it around like crazy but this thing is either just slow taking off or something is wrong. I've looked under it and pump is clear and like I said it seems to run fine. Any ideas? I would have thought it would perform as good or better than my '98?? Thanks

+1
    check the clearance between the impeller blades and the wear ring. excessive gap can cause your issue. acceptable clearance is generally around .010" to .015"

Ok, I'll check that tonight, thanks

I wasn't able to measure the clearance yet but did look at it and doesn't look more than 1/16th inch or so and impeller looks in good shape. I made a video of it but kind of hard to hear it, you can hear when I take of then better at about 26 seconds

+1
    1/16" is almost 4 or 5 times the spec and will cause your "Rev up, no go" feeling. Bust out the feeler gauge and measure it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by barkster View Post
    I wasn't able to measure the clearance yet but did look at it and doesn't look more than 1/16th inch or so and impeller looks in good shape. I made a video of it but kind of hard to hear it, you can hear when I take of then better at about 26 seconds

Sounds like your spin the prop and not hooking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    Sounds like your spin the prop and not hooking up.
    what does this mean exactly?

After researching a ton I think it may be the felt pads that have blown out, would that cause this cavitation?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by barkster View Post
    what does this mean exactly?

After researching a ton I think it may be the felt pads that have blown out, would that cause this cavitation?
    It means the jet pump isn't pushing water efficiently. It not building a pressurized stream of water.
    This can be caused by cavitation due to the pump sucking air (felt seals missing or not sealing properly) or excessive impeller to wear ring clearance.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but its time to get out from behind the computer and start checking out the pump. Best way to access the impeller for clearance checking is to remove the grate and stick the feeler gauge up there. This will also give you a chance to check out some the pump sealing.

Will do, was planning on doing that tonight thanks

ok, measured it... .016" which looks out of tolerance plus the felt pads are sticking out between the two plates. Ok, so I should replace the wear ring right? I mean do the impellers wear down. Also, I saw this one on ebay that has a replaceable ring anyone tried those?

After looking at the service manual the '99 doesn't have the felt pads from what I can see. But there is a 1" piece of like 1/8" black foam sticking out between the intake duct and the jet pump cover?? To me it looks like it is coming out of the pump but I don't see anything in the manual that resembles it. Maybe it's foreign

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information