Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 Polaris Virage I 800 emm replacement

I need to replace the emm, DFI confirmed that it is unrepairable, my question is do I have to have a dealer reset a new emm to match the injectors or can I plug in the new emm and go? I have heard the older emm units have to be set up at a dealer and the newer ones just plug it in and go.

+1
    Hi Jay, welcome to the hulk.

I recently discovered that these emm units must be mapped to the injectors to work. So in short yes, you need to take it along with your injectors to someone that can program it for you. I believe another Jay, from sharps marine offers this service you can find him on this forum 2&4strokepolaristech.

Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    Hi Jay, welcome to the hulk.

I recently discovered that these emm units must be mapped to the injectors to work. So in short yes, you need to take it along with your injectors to someone that can program it for you. I believe another Jay, from sharps marine offers this service you can find him on this forum 2&4strokepolaristech.

I have seen the emm go for $1200-1765 ...1200 on eBay to 1765 from a Polaris dealer...what is the difference if they both say they are new from Polaris?

+1
    Check the part numbers. Those prices are a joke considering you can get a new one from partspitstop for $830.

is that a remanufactured?

+1
    Not sure, I did see that as new price for MSX which should be the same unit pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    Not sure, I did see that as new price for MSX which should be the same unit pretty much.
    that is a reman....problem I have is this machine went to a Polaris dealer last fall with this problem..Polaris shipped 3 different emm's that were reman and they were all bad..so I pulled the plug on them..not sure who or what to believe on this issue

Welcome to the Hulk. In order for your current injectors to be matched to a new EMM you would have to be able to read the mapping data from your EMM. If DFI says its not repairable, I would doubt the data could be read. There was a post a long while ago about "someone" that could transfer the map data but I cant remember who it was. I will try and look it up. Really your best bet is buying a used EMM with matching injectors. New injectors (service injectors) come with a floppy disk with its map data. In order to use the floppy, you would have to get a set of communication cables or build your own to program the EMM. Hope this helps clear things up for you. Cheers.

Banned User
    +1
    I would call DFI and see if they can get the mapping data out of your EMM. Then send them the old one and your replacement and I would think they could do that for you.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    unrepairable...that's a big ouch. Didn't think any more new emm's were available from anywhere. Anyhow I'd go with a used emm with matching injectors, assuming the map data cannot be read. If the emm in unrepairable, I assume it's in the main cpu or flash memory and then the fat lady has sung. Like I said...Ouch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information