Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 RXT Backfiring

What would cause an 05 RXT to backfire? I was told the ski ran away, like it was leaning out, then it backfired. I tried to start it, ski cranked over then backfired. What should I check? Ski has 102 hours on it.

Thanks

backfiring in the exhaust or in the intake? have you replaced the spark plugs yet? Check for the obvious first, anything loose or leaking?...it is also possible you have burnt valves, any codes, how about the coils?... PR...

a QUICK TEST,
    pull the fuel line off at the fuel rail, take an empty gatorade size clear jug and fill it up by continuing to put the lanyard on and off to cycle the pump.
    When full take a look at what you have. Sounds like you could have some water in the fuel , if so it will be obvious when looking at your sample.

I would do this after replacing the plugs as per PR

Steve
    Last edited by friebe1; 01-14-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by friebe1 View Post
    a QUICK TEST,
    pull the fuel line off at the fuel rail, take an empty gatorade size clear jug and fill it up by continuing to put the lanyard on and off to cycle the pump.
    When full take a lok at what you have. Sounds like you could have some water in the fuel , if so it will be obvious when looig at your sample.

I would do this after replacing the plugs as per PR

Steve
    Steve, that`s a good tip, I`ve never had a backfire with water in the fuel, just sluggish, stumble irratic running, but that`s something we should prolly all check every season!...PR...

+1
    Check to make sure the coils are not hookup out of order. I am not for sure if the wires on each coil is long enough to reach the next.

When I tried to start it, it backfired through the exhaust. I looked at the coil wires they are not crossed. Will take a look at the coils and spark plugs, and the other suggestions.

Mahalo...

Quote Originally Posted by jetworx hawaii View Post
    When I tried to start it, it backfired through the exhaust. I looked at the coil wires they are not crossed. Will take a look at the coils and spark plugs, and the other suggestions.

Mahalo...
    sounds like a plug, cyclinder loading up with fuel and then an ittermitten spark... the connectors cannot reach to the other coils, so rule that out. If you still experiencing back fires after new plugs and after checking for water in the fuel, you`d then have to start looking at the ignition, fuel, air, etc...maybe a buds vck hook-up could provide some info... but def look at the plugs...
    when was the last time a compression check was done? you should do that with 100 hours on the ski, or if it was in for service lately, the techs may have it written on the invoice...PR...

+1
    It may have jumped out of time, I would check the timing chain to see if it's loose, and if the timing marks line up with the head. (with the valve cover off, and cyl# 3 at TDC)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0251.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	721.4 KB 
ID:	14516  

+1
    Turn it over with the spark plugs out and the injectors disconnected, if you see fuel coming out of a cylinder that plug or injector could be bad.
    Next is timing issues or a bent valve. Leak down test may help.

if you put the lanyard on several times without starting the engine it is possible that there was some unburned fuel in the exhaust that ignited and caused the backfire. If you tried to start it only one time and that one time was when it backfired, I would try starting it again to see what happens.

EDIT: Ahh, I read it again and saw the part about it running away like it was lean so the fuel in the exhaust theory is unlikely...
    Last edited by GTXX; 01-15-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information