Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

2003 Gtx 185 What dose it take to convert to 215?

I am editing this with the information I have found and used to modify my ski.
    1) The 185 skis have a different flywheel and supercharger gear that turn the supercharger slower than the 215 and up skis (making less boost on the 185s) 185 has 86 teeth on both rings on the flywheel the 215 and up have 86 on the engine side and 87 on the supercharger side.
    2) Also the 185's have cast pistons vs. forged (there are different opinions on weather cast pistons will hold up if you upgrade to 215 hp do some research and figure out if you are comfortable staying with the cast or change them out with forged most will tell you to upgrade to forged)
    3) the driveshaft, bellows, c clip, carbon ring, and hat are different if you want to use a better prop. (prop side splines are bigger on 215's)
    I had to buy a 06 driveshaft from a RXT to get the bigger splines on the prop side.
    in 06 they started using a bigger bellows carbon ring and the hole in the hull is also bigger. I had to use my original bellows carbon ring and use the 06 driveshaft, hat and c clip.
    4) fuel pressure regulator's the 185 run about 48 lbs of fuel pressure and the 215 run 58 lbs both run 38lb injectors.
    5) the ecu on a 185 has a lower rpm limiter vs the 215's (215's have 8100 rpm rev limiter, the 185's have 7600 rpm limiter)
    6) intercooler the 185's don't have one, the 215+ have them
    7) as long as your in there check your pump shoe alignment and correct it if you need to.
    some recommend a 08 oilier upgrade on the pto/flywheel cover.

On my setup I am opting to stay with the cast piston for this season and changing them out next winter
    I sent my supercharger to Jerry for a rebuild and conversion to the 215 charger and green wheel impeller.
    I bought a used 215 flywheel and arp bolts to hold it on.
    I bought a never used 215 drive shaft setup from a rxt
    bought a new prop and wear ring
    Bought a adjustable fuel pressure regulator with rising rate (more boost= more fuel pressure)
    Pto/flywheel cover gasket
    v tech programmer to adjust rpm limiter
    engine alignment tool
    oil filter oil and coolant and right stuff
    my 03 did not have a anode on the ride plate so I got one.

Check out the classified section of this forum its a good place to find parts!

Please let me know if any of this is incorrect I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction. Thanks
    Last edited by hotbird; 05-16-2012 at 09:37 PM.

+1
    its very much worth it if you really plan to keep the ski, or if you dont mind taking the engine out to put some forged pistons in it. probably better off selling yours and buying a 05-06 rxt it will be cheaper that being said i enjoyed doing the work and conversion. ps i smash stock rxps and rxts wish i had more skis to run

+1
    So are forged pistons required also?

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    So are forged pistons required also?
    Absolutely yes!!!
    There are many guys running on cast pistons too,but,they play with fire....

+1
    EVERYTHING you need to know is in this thread - start reading! http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61053

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    ...start reading!...
    lol...

04/05 ECU, fuel pressure regulator, forged pistons, rings, flywheel, head gasket, PTO gasket, upgraded PTO bolts, 215 supercharger rebuild kit (for the gear), OEM air intake manifold with intercooler and coolant hoses, driveshaft, impeller and all the specific SeaDoo tools (cam locking, crank locking, impeller tool, etc). That is to build to 215 specs.

I agree that SOME are using the cast pistons and if you opt for that route, it isn't because I recommended it!

There are some time and money saving tricks, mods, upgrades to consider if/when you decide to do this.
    1) Rather than get the 215 fuel pressure regulator, opt for a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. It will cost a little more now, but save you some money later.
    2) Rather than buy a 215 ECU, consider getting the v-tech handheld and 1 vehicle credit. Flash it to 8100 now and when you decide to rebuild the valvetrain, you can reflash for a higher RPM FREE!!! Again, a little more expensive now, but would save you money later IF you decided to go faster than staock 215 later.
    3) You COULD buy some used 215 pistons, but I would reccomend buying new. You have a 2003 ski that may have been bought new in 2002, making it 10 years old...consider new pistons AND rings...give yourself 10 more years.
    4) buy a used 215 double-row gear/flywheel.
    5) Consider buying a used, complete X SC for $400 verse a SC rebuild kit for $300. This will also require 42 lb injectors.
    6) Rather than buying a used 215 air intake with the OEM intercooler...use your current air intake, remove the flame arrestor and buy an XS external intercooler. (requires the yellow restrictor washer in pump) = mo' better and close to the same cost.
    7) buy a used RXT driveshaft, making sure the splines are in tact.
    8 ) buy an impeller to match the power you throw at it. I had good luck with a 15/20 with the X SC. Consider the 14/19 with stock SC.

The above does NOT mention a 4" air intake, aftermarket intake grate, aftermarket rideplate, OPAS block-offs, exit nozzle with adjustable rings, filling rideplate holes, removing second waterbox, through-hull exhaust, truing grate to plate and plate to hull, etc. Have fun! --Jeremy

Someone proofread this and make it a sticky.

+1
    hey jermey how is that gtx of yours ? i have an x-charger im going to drop in what kind of speeds were you getting with it ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    hey jermey how is that gtx of yours ? i have an x-charger im going to drop in what kind of speeds were you getting with it ?
    Post 2325 (to keep this thread on topic)...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...36#post1906836

+1
    Thank you for all the great info!! Yea A sticky with that info would be nice!

Sounds like a next winter project!

+1
    the ecu and fpr with a 12\20 pitched right will get you to 65-66mph

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information