Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sportster SCIC RPM/Speed

Just took out my 05 Sportster SCIC for the first time. THere were three of us in it and it was turning about 7800rpm at 45mph (dreamometer). Does that speed seem low for this boat or is that about normal with that much of a load? If I had to guess, the three of us combined weigh about 710 pounds. The bay had light chop but nothing huge. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about top speed or if I should take a look at the impeller/wear ring. The boat has 15 hours on it. Thanks

mitch

My Speedo Was Way Off (low 10mph) On My 05 As I Checked With My Gps (exact As I Tested In My Truck On The Highway). I Put A Riva Intake Kit On Mine & It Quite Noticable On The Bottom End And Top End Gained 4mph.

Same here

I've been trying to get through the break-in period in my new Speedster 150 (215HP) since last Friday. I finally went full throttle today on a glassy lake. I was only able to get to 46mph at 7800rpm. Haven't GPS'd yet, but it felt like 46mph too. The boat is great and handles like a dream, it accelerates like it's being shot out of a cannon, but I would be hugely disappointed if that doesn't start creeping up closer to 55mph after breakin. When researching before purchasing, I ran across some specs listing it as a 65mph boat. I knew this was BS, but I expected 55 easily. I found owners who were GPS'n their stock '05 and '06 Sportsters between 56 and 58mph.

My neighbor has an '04 GTX with the same engine minus the intercooler (185hp). Encouragingly, he said it would only do 50mph when new, but he's running 65 everyday now. I don't know what's true or not, but I've heard the computer in the Sea-Doo retards power in the first hour, and also switches again after 30 hours to full power. My dealer said they switch the computer to full power during the 10 hour oil change... hope it's true, but I smell BS there too. I mean, if the engine is running 7800rpms already, how much more can it give? (unless it somehow increased boost in the supercharger)

I want to be at 60mph. With a new boat and warranty, I can really only use performance parts that come on and off pretty easily. I'm hoping if I jump to 55mph stock, an air intake will get me close to 60. Is there a performance intake grate for the Sportsters/Speedster 150 yet?

By the way, FLSCIC, I was coming close to picking up an '05 Sportster in Orlando at Monroe Harbour Marina... is that where you got yours at?

-Scott

VX1, I picked my boat up used from a relative with only 14-15 hours on it. I almost went with the 07 but could not turn down the deal I got. I went out again since I last posted. This time, with just myself and my girlfriend and much smoother water, the dreamometer was bouncing between 60-65. I know realistically this is more like 55 +- a few mph, but this is more like what I read about before buying the boat. Now I am having another intermittent problem. The boat just shuts off while running. Take off the lanyard, replug, two beeps, fires right up. Seems like it may be the DESS post or lanyard. I have been told to check all of my grounds, etc. so I will do that before replacing anything.

VX1, good luck with your boat, which color did you end up with?

Well that is very good news (the top speed part anyway). I’m curious, with this extra speed, were you still turning 7800rpms?... and how’d it feel, did it feel like you were haulin’ butt compared to your 45mph run?

The dealer in Orlando had an SCIC ’05 which they listed as “under 20 hours”; it sold a couple of weeks ago, so I thought you might have gotten it. They had it for $15K, then dropped it to $12,800, so I figured I could probably get it for $12K, but the night before I was going out to look at it, my wife said “Why don’t you just get a new one?”, so, with the green light for the new one, I never made it to Orlando to look at the ’05. The ’07 wasn’t easy to get; the Lakeland dealer said it would be March before he could get one in, but Xtreme Powersports in Tampa did me right. They said if I order one, they’d just get a whole truckload in. They did, and I had my boat in a week. I’m going back at the 10 hour mark to get the bimini & depth finder installed.

I got the red/black. That’s one of the reasons I went with the new one, despite the fact they are essentially unchanged from ’05. Another reason was the ceramic bearings in the superchanger, but those are relatively inexpensive to change out. The dealer said the new ones are titanium.

Yours is shutting down while running? If the DESS isn’t beeping when that happens (until you unplug & plug it back in), I’d venture to say your problem is in that post. If it is beeping when the engine shuts off, I’d go with the fuel pump (based only on my knowledge of cars). Mine might have a starting problem. I made the mistake of launching from my boathouse before starting it over the weekend. I was floating farther and farther away, and even though the DESS was beeping and it was in neutral, nothing happened when I pushed the start button. I kept unplug/plugging the lanyard, turning off/on the battery, and messing with the shifter and nothing. Pretty scary because I don’t even have a paddle in there yet. Finally after six or seven tries, it started. It might have a problem sensing when it is in neutral. It will be awhile before I trust it, but on the plus side, since I’m starting it in the boathouse now, I’m getting invaluable practice driving in reverse (used to prop boat type of reverse).

-Scott
    Last edited by VX1; 01-17-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Misspelling & font

Also...

Not completely applicable to you with 15hrs, but I found a link with someone from a dealership talking about how the engine is retarded (so to speak) during the first several hours:

http://www.seadoosportboats.com/foru...topic_746.html

Also links where people have GPS'd their stock sportster between 55 - 60mph and more:

http://seadoosportboats.com/forums/l...php/t1035.html
    http://seadoosportboats.com/forums/l....php/t948.html
    http://seadoosportboats.com/forums/l....php/t725.html

Can't wait! I'm still at 1 hour. Who says "time flies when you're having fun", that one hour has felt like three. The gauge even read 1hr for about 10 minutes, then went back to zero for another 10 minutes, now it's back to 1?!?

-Scott

upgrades

VX1

I have had the same problem with my 2007 speedster starting as you have. However the out come of what happened will end up costing me more money. I unknowingly floated into shallow water and when i finally got my boat started i sucked up a rock that did some serious damage. Needless to say i have to replace my impeller and everything that surrounds it. so i feel your pain. Have you figured out what i causing the problem? My boat is at the shop right now and they are trouble shooting it while they are fixing the rest of the damage.
    My boat is currently apart. Can any think of anything that i should do why my impeller and all the hardware surrounding is off to increase my performance on the water?

a stainless steel wear ring would be pretty cool.

My problem was only that I was in the break-in period, and the ECU was retarding the timing. By about hour 6 or 7, I was GPS'n 57mph. Also, back then, I didn't realize how far off the speedometer was, so I was probably doing 55mph when it said 48. I have since fixed the speedometer, but a mounted GPS is still the only way to go, especially when doing any performance tuning.

Although it will cost a little money, sucking up that rock did yourself a big favor. Now you don't have to explain to your wife (like I had to) why you have to replace your perfectly good impeller and wear ring.

The bad/good news:

BAD NEWS: It won't be covered under warranty, obviously.

GOOD NEWS: It surely didn't damage anything other than the impeller and the wear ring, which is no sweat to replace, and usually near the top of the list to replace when increasing performance. I have the Solas Concord 13/18 ($250) and stainless steel wear ring ($190), and it brought my performance to a whole new level- raised the top end 1 mph and the difference in acceleration is night & day.

The 13/18 is perfect for a stock to stage 1 boat and will put your RPMs at 8100, where it should be. I'm in the process to going to a more stage 2 setup, and have to take the impeller out to repitch it. I'd be willing to sell it for $150 (only been on the boat for an hour), then I'd just get the 14/19 to handle the boost I'll be throwing at it.

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T PAY THE DEALER GOBS OF MONEY TO JUST PUT A STOCK IMPELLER AND WEAR RING BACK ON THERE!!!

-Scott

My new 06 Sportster SCIC does about 56MPH (GPS) with me and the girlfriend and a full tank of gas. It's new and I am guessing I have probably less than 20 hrs on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information