Engine alignment in RX

Can anyone tell me if the engine in an RX (2001) can be moved
    fore and aft? Reason being is that the driveshaft seems to be an inch short,
    bumpers are in but still short. I am actually looking to see if I can install
    spacers on the pto to lengthen the reach some. I have already stripped one
    driveshaft and do not want to have to buy another this season.

+1
    Yeh !! something is way out if it is an inch short !!! This is not normal ? Has the pump or drive shaft ever been replaced at all ? What about the impeller shaft is it the correct one as these all play a part in how far away the engine is positioned.Is the PTO the stock one ?? With the engine mounts you only have about 5-6mm (1/4 inch)of adjustment back and forth and 1-2 mm on the mount bolts to the engine support plate so something is drastically wrong.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    big clue here is that you have already stripped a driveshaft. Something isn't quite right here and my guess is the wrong driveshaft was used. The WSM parts books shows the actual drive shaft lengths and all. If you PM me with the details on your shaft, I'll see if there is one model which might be a touch longer then yours. Without the right shaft, strippage is pretty much a given as the splines will not be riding on the correct part of the pto. I'm not in the shop much right now since most business it on the docks so to speak, so PM me with some accurate measurements of your current shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    big clue here is that you have already stripped a driveshaft. Something isn't quite right here and my guess is the wrong driveshaft was used. The WSM parts books shows the actual drive shaft lengths and all. If you PM me with the details on your shaft, I'll see if there is one model which might be a touch longer then yours. Without the right shaft, strippage is pretty much a given as the splines will not be riding on the correct part of the pto. I'm not in the shop much right now since most business it on the docks so to speak, so PM me with some accurate measurements of your current shaft.
    I actually grabbed another driveshaft off of ebay and it is the exact same length so it is the correct part. I pulled the pump off my XP and popped it on and it still lined up short. As far as I can tell everything aft of the pto is fine. I picked this boat up last year and it is perfect other than this. One of the seadoo stickers was missing from one side so I thought it may have had damage and been re-fiberglassed and the mounts glassed in wrong but I cannot find any evidence of this. If I could find a 1/2 inch or so longer driveshaft I would probably be in business.

I will get up under there this weekend and get some better measurements. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Yeh !! something is way out if it is an inch short !!! This is not normal ? Has the pump or drive shaft ever been replaced at all ? What about the impeller shaft is it the correct one as these all play a part in how far away the engine is positioned.Is the PTO the stock one ?? With the engine mounts you only have about 5-6mm (1/4 inch)of adjustment back and forth and 1-2 mm on the mount bolts to the engine support plate so something is drastically wrong.
    Just to check it out, do I loosen the three bolts on the motor mounts and shift it back? Or is there more to it. Many thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Just to check it out, do I loosen the three bolts on the motor mounts and shift it back? Or is there more to it. Many thanks.
    There is a lot more to it i'm afraid. check out what is needed to do a proper engine alignment on a seadoo. A misalignment can also cause driveshaft failure, as can failing to grease the joint now and then. I've seen more stripped pto's then shafts.

I'd leave the motor where it is right now.

I need an exact driveshaft length measurement for starters. If the shaft length looks ok..then we can start looking at a few other things. but for now..the shaft length.

+1
    I guess this problem was solved..what was it?

Thread Information