gp 1200r bog out

hi i recently bought a gp 1200r , i went to test it out for the first time it drove fine for the first 20 min after that it bogged out . i stopped for a few moments and i started it right up an it was working fine. i rode for another ten minutes and it did it again but this time it wouldn't pass 8mph. i got to a marina and checked the intergrade and it looked fine. but when i pulled the seat off the engine was really hot. i took it back to the worst dealer in miami i don't recommend it to any body (miami jet ski shop)and they said it was that i got sea weed stuck in the intergrade and they did not want to fix it. i would like to know if any body knows whats wrong with it. they said that the carb could have gotten messed up .

Assuming intergrade = intake grate

Just take a look yourself and see if you have a bunch sea weed wrapped around your driveshaft. It's not hard at all to take the intake grate off and cut the weeds out. Just make sure you properly torque the bolts and use thread sealant when you re install it.

Something stuck in your intake will not mess up your carbs.

However since this a new to you "used GPR" anything on the ski could already have been broken (including your carbs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Assuming intergrade = intake grate

Just take a look yourself and see if you have a bunch sea weed wrapped around your driveshaft. It's not hard at all to take the intake grate off and cut the weeds out. Just make sure you properly torque the bolts and use thread sealant when you re install it.

Something stuck in your intake will not mess up your carbs.

However since this a new to you "used GPR" anything on the ski could already have been broken (including your carbs.)

Thanks for the advise am going to take a look at it.

+1
    Sounds like it could also be the cat, once it breaks loose it's over. Bog city.

i checked the shaft and it looked clean but it is still not driving correctly it does not pass 8mph, and it is one heating. it turns off if you accelerate it to much. and i think am hearing noises coming from the piston.

I had a ski that would not go faster than 30 before instantly cutting out. If I waited 30 seconds...it would fire right up. As soon as I went past 30mph, it would kill instantly. The problem was that it had burned up a piston but when it cut out, it would cool off enough to be able to move around. It did this until it finally lost 100% compression in that cylinder and then it would run but would only run at 2/3 of the normal speed. Eventually it would have fried but I pulled it apart and found the burned up piston. My 2 cents.

+1
    Sounds like a compression test is in order. It could be seizing a piston. A compression check should tell you pretty fast if there is a piston problem. You might also be able to see something if it is really bad by removing the spark plugs and looking in the hole.

yeah i just took it to chi chi performance and they told me that it has two piston that are gone. all the gaskets where installed wrong and the engine had a little water in it. by the way if you live in miami chi chi performance is the best way to go they are very affordable and reliable.

+1
    I have heard this a lot on people buying a ski then it blows up. sounds like there was a problem prior to you buying it. maybe the seller will help with repair bill not likely.

Its always good to test ride before you buy even if it is cold out. full throttle for the most of the test ride then compression test.

Good luck with the build.

Thread Information