Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to the site, and jet ski world

Hey guys, just moved to new Mexico and found a nice lake to go to, so I bought a 00ultra 150 from a friend back in tx before I left, he said it ran but lost power, and the hull is like dull pink and the bottom was scratched but I gave him 100 bux so wth lol, I put new tires and bearings on the trailer and moved my new project to nm, then I was looking for parts, found a 99 ultra 150 with a bad engine, so I got it for 000 real clean body and nice trailer so my old pink one is now parts. The newer one was supposedly capsized but number two piston is scratched and has tiny chunks missing out of the piston, and I can move it up and down about 1/4" so I'm guessing the crank is done too, I'm tearing my 00 apart right now hoping the crank is still good since I guess the rods come with the crank?? The #2 cylinder is gone too so I was looking at sleeves at pwcsuperstore but after looking at the cylinder it has no sleeves??
    any recommendations on what would be best to rebuild this? Like I said I'm new to the jet skis, and hear about blockin the oil supply and mixing it myself? Any little mods and hints would be very helpful!! I have a manual on the way to help me out.. I also seen at pwc they have coated pistons for less friction which seemed like a good idea. Does anyone know of other good parts for decent price? I'd like to replace most of it with performance mods so I won't be the slowest on the lake lol but I don't have a very big wallet lol. It's already got the big air filter on the carbs but the carbs still look stock.

Dude...Stock that ski will be one of if the fastest on the lake..I would get it it running before doing any mods...Check out Group K
    http://www.groupk.com/ultra.html

Dude go here and do some reading
    http://ultra150.yuku.com/
    anything you need to know will be in the forums somewhere.

Blocking the oil injection Isent a good idea on the ultras since the pump feeds the front and rear bearings. I always add 1qt per gallon in the fuel just as a precaution. Also look the carbs over very well, normally when one blows a cylinder its carb related.

The big airfilter could have leaned out your mixture and caused the failer unless those carbs are modified. I would put the stock spark arrester back on.

The ski is already fast, you need yo make it handle now. I would look into a set of sponsons, intake grate and a shredmaster ride plate.

Good luck

Check the oil injection lines and make sure they are not brittle. This is a big cause of the Ultra's blowing motors. Do not block of the oil supply lines and mix it yourself. I have never heard of an oil pump failing so there is no point to the block off. You may also want to be sure to do a carb cleaning and make sure no diaphragms are ripped or you will have to do a rebuild kit on the carbs. Let me know if you would like to sell the carbs on the capsized ski. If it capsized in salt water consider them trashed. Do not use that set as the stock carbs have very small passageways and the salt water corrodes the insides causing the passageways to block off. I need a set of trashed carbs for the Choke butterflies and idle adjuster so if you are selling them, send me a PM.

The best upgrades you can do for this ski are Beach House Sponsons and the Shredmaster ride plate. It's ridiculous how much of a drastic change those 2 items make to this ski. Also use the stock flame arrestor on the factory carbs as the slightest change can blow these motors. If you want to use an aftermarket one, you have to re jet to compensate the extra airflow.

Don't sleeve this motor!! The plating in the factory cylinders is called Nikasil and disperses heat a lot better than a steel or iron sleeve. There is a company called US Chrome that will re Nikasil your sleeve to factory specs. This is your best route.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Ford_cummins83!

x2 on the above advice! Do NOT remove the oil injection, but upgrade the hoses to polyurethane. Secure them with .025" stainless steel safety wire. Do NOT run an aftermarket air filter on stock carbs. Installing primers will make it easier to start, but do NOT remove the choke plates.

Your 'Ski in stock form will probably rule the lake.

Not sure where you are in New Mexico, if there's water, it must be near Elephant Butte. There's a GH member that has a shop near there. His name is Peter, but I don't remember his screen name. He does a lot of work on Ultras.

When I did a top overhaul on mine, I used genuine Kawasaki parts. The Ultra 150 engine is not forgiving of crappy Chinese parts.
    Last edited by steve45; 04-03-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks for the responses!! I wasn't sure about the oil block off but I'll definitely leave it on, and the carbs, I'm not sure if theyre stock or not, I thought about upgrading them but I'm still not sure hats compatible with what and I just wanna build this thing right and have fun and not having to tear it back down this winter.. But after looking at some of the free mods I'll do those for sure, it's already got the sponsons and I'll get a shred master also.. I was lookin at the 42cc's but then again I don't wanna make it to rich and don't wanna starve it for fuel either so I'm not sure which way to go with that, I looked at skiworx's parts but they're outrageous.. I'll do a triple pisser also, just want to make it reliable but fun at the same time. I just pulled my new ski's motor apart and the #2 rod bearings were gone and it has a crack on the bottom where the rod has been hitting the housing, and I'm pretty sure where the rod has been hitting the crank it's gotta be messed up but I have the other engine and the crank in it seems good, but I'd like to find a place that can check my crank and maybe replace the bearings ad I'll replace all the pistons for sure, and yeah I'll be going to elephant butte and we already have a storage there so I'd like to find someone that knows these things, but as for now I'd like to make sure I get all the right parts as far as my pistons and reed valves so I don't have to tear it back down later.. I seen pwc superstore has coated pistons and thought those would be a good idea and I'll probably send my pump off for good adjustment to it since this is my first time messing with it.. And as far as the carbs I'll sell one of my sets, I'd just like to get the ski running first, and after I seen that rod bearing I'm not sure if it got capsized or ran out of oil..? But yeah when it's running right I'll sell all my extra parts

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Ford_cummins83!

x2 on the above advise! Do NOT remove the oil injection, but upgrade the hoses to polyurethane. Secure them with .025" stainless steel safety wire. Do NOT run an aftermarket air filter on stock carbs. Installing primers will make it easier to start, but do NOT remove the choke plates.

Your 'Ski in stock form will probably rule the lake.

Not sure where you are in New Mexico, if there's water, it must be near Elephant Butte. There's a GH member that has a shop near there. His name is Peter, but I don't remember his screen name. He does a lot of work on Ultras.

When I did a top overhaul on mine, I used genuine Kawasaki parts. The Ultra 150 engine is not forgiving of crappy Chinese parts.
    You wouldn't happen to know his shops name would you?

+1
    OK, I searched some posts and found him. His screen name is nmpeter.

His signature says the following:

-Pete
    Captain Pete's JetSki Service
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    http://www.cpjetski.com

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    OK, I searched some posts and found him. His screen name is nmpeter.

His signature says the following:

-Pete
    Captain Pete's JetSki Service
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    http://www.cpjetski.com
    Ok cool, thanks a lot!!
    How does everyone feel about the coated pistons from pwcsuperstore?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford_cummins83 View Post
    How does everyone feel about the coated pistons from pwcsuperstore?
    That would be SBT.

Kawasaki parts are expensive, but they work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information