Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Forgot to put in coolant. Ran on the hose for maximum of 2 mins!

I was installing a new thermostat onto my ski, so I had drained the old coolant. While putting everything back together, my friend came over and I got distracted and forgot to install the new coolant into the ski. I ran it on the hose for a maximum of 2 minutess before realizing that I forgot to put in the coolant. DOH!

Now I am worried that I messed up something. I hooked it up to my friend candoo system, and it shows that the maximum temperature was around 133F. The overheat code didn't go off, so I am hoping that is a good thing.

Am i okay? Did i warp the head or the block or anything? Please say it is okay!! I am just pissed off that I forgot something like this.

+1
    The sensor measures the coolant temp. If your cooling system was dry the temp reading is N/A. I would be worried about a warped head. 2 minutes is pushing it running on the hose as not to kill your carbon seal as well...

+1
    I honestly wouldnt worry to much unless you notice something being out of the ordinary. 2min on the hose isnt going to kill anything. Some people believe that the carbon seal will be burned after two min but I have never found 2 min to damage anything. Now if you leave it on there for 10min then your asking for trouble but 2min is fine.

+1
    since you ran it without coolant id be worried about a warped head. 2 mins for any motor without having coolant around the cylinders is not good at all. fill it up and bleed it and see what your issue is then. you may be safe or not...

+1
    I agree,only way to be sure is fill it up,and go for a test ride,thn you'll know for sure.

Run a compression test

If I test it out on the water. It will narrow it down to the head gasket being bad correct? That way, the head is warped for sure.

+1
    Or you can do allot more damage. Do a leak down test just to make sure there is no leaks. When you apply pressure to you combustion chamber take your coolant bottle cap off and make sure its not blowing bubbles. If everything checks out,then run it. Take a little precaution now or spend the summer riding bitch on the back of your buddies ski...

+1
    The temp sensor will read any temp at that location with or without coolant. So if the air/casing in the head exit only reached 133F he should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    The sensor measures the coolant temp. If your cooling system was dry the temp reading is N/A. I would be worried about a warped head. 2 minutes is pushing it running on the hose as not to kill your carbon seal as well...

+1
    Agreed, but the coolant transfers heat allot faster than air. The tip of the sensor is hanging out in the open and is not going to read case temp through the base of the sensor. heat around the cylinders is going to be extremely hot and has nothing around it to transfer the heat to. That temp will take a long time (more than 2 minutes) to reach the sensor in the head either through the aluminum or air...

I hear allot of coulds and shoulds but no for sures...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information