+1

Question on jet ski trailer

Just bought a new rxp-x and new to jet skiing but have owned boats in the past. I noticed that my yacht club trailer does not have a safety chain to hold the ski on the trailer only he nylon winch strap and of course back straps.

Do you guys run safety chains as well? Someone told me since it is a bunk trailer(compared to rollers) you don't have to. Hate to have the strap break and possibly loose the ski.

Thanks.

+1
    On my trailer + my friends single trailer we dont have the chains.

Now, i dont go faster than 10mph and for 200meters (400 feet).
    So i only run the nylon strap and always "forget" to put the rear straps.
    My double trailer has rollers, friends single are bunks.

Now. if you account to the friction the bunks put, the nylon strap, i think its "impossible" for a ski to fall off unless you go 60MPH..
    BUT... Safety is key aswell, not only can you imagine your ski falling off, it can also kill someone (or create a nasty accident).

So id suggest you drill a hole in the frame and not in the winch mount (the arm that sticks out) and attach a chain there with a good bolt..

In My Honest Opinion, i think a strap up front and the 2 rears are "enough" as i think there is a bigger chance that the hooks in the ski break...

hope i helped

Cheap to put on the safety chain.

Just don't let your brother tow it.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...rother+trailer

+1
    Heck yeah safety chain safety rope something besides just the strap they come apart.

+1
    Thanks for the replies. I guess the thing that worries me the most is it coming off the trailer in an accident or accident avoidance. Not as much worried about the ski but more with it injuring or killing another driver.

Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    On my trailer + my friends single trailer we dont have the chains.

Now, i dont go faster than 10mph and for 200meters (400 feet).
    So i only run the nylon strap and always "forget" to put the rear straps.
    My double trailer has rollers, friends single are bunks.

Now. if you account to the friction the bunks put, the nylon strap, i think its "impossible" for a ski to fall off unless you go 60MPH..
    BUT... Safety is key aswell, not only can you imagine your ski falling off, it can also kill someone (or create a nasty accident).

So id suggest you drill a hole in the frame and not in the winch mount (the arm that sticks out) and attach a chain there with a good bolt..

In My Honest Opinion, i think a strap up front and the 2 rears are "enough" as i think there is a bigger chance that the hooks in the ski break...

hope i helped

I don't run a safety chain but I check my straps (front and back) at least once or twice a year and change them if there is any sign of tearing. I'm always looking at them when I load and unload but those once or twice a year checks are more thorough that I do with my whole trailer and ski.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    run straps and make sure you have a towing rider on your truck policy. Insurance is way cheap and saves endless bucks if the unthinkable happens. IF you lose your ski and it kills somebody..IF you have a rider it's the same thing as if your wheel came off..if you do not have a rider..well....

+1
    You can make your own from Home Depot. Use some chain from home depot with a bolt and nut going through it to the trailer then use this to attach to the ski. Lehigh 3,300 lb. 1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Quick Link. I spray my bunks with silicone spray so I can get the ski off the trailer onto a roll around stand.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051

I no longer trust just the winch. We were pulling ski out of the water when the winch let go and ski slid right off trailer...thankfully right back into the water without making contact with ramp. I started using an extra tie down. I think today I'd like to fab something up with chain.

+1
    Get a set of trailer safety chains and bolt them on by each winch post. Cheap, easy and they have captive hooks already installed on the end for the bow hook.

Thread Information