Wear ring replacement?

Hi guys, just looking for some advice.

I had the job of replacing the wear ring in my mates 2001 xp after he started it up in only 3 inches of water....

Now I pulled the pump and stripped the imp off and removed the shaft. I slotted the old ring and removed it. New one dropped straight in and so I went to button it back up. Replaced shaft re-attached imp, all was cool, now it came the cone and I replaced the white bit of plastic into the black bit with the spring in I then just bolted it up..... Removed bung and started to fill with oil.

What I have come across is that if I grab the imp and pull back and forth I have no end float? Is this right I'm sure I had some when I first took it off.... Have I done something wrong? Is it too tight? Also how much oil goes into a completely dry pump?

Any help will be appreciated

+1
    Have a look here it might help http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171762

I fill them until almost full but the manual says to the bottom of the plug threads

You need to download the free service manual. Before you tighten the end cone you need to insert a blunt object like a pen or flat end of a pencil to depress the black bit that will take the tension off the white bit. Keep it depressed until you tighten the three bolts and after they are tight you should be able to push the black bit in and out just a few milimeters to feel the spring move in and out. IF you do not feel the spring move in and out with your blunt object start over. It took me a few times before I could feel the play, then fill with oil to the bottom of the threads and you are done.

Thanks guys that exactly what I needed, it's the setup on the cone I was missing, I see it was wedge shaped inside and I could press it thru the hole, it's a 2 pair of hands job lol

Thanks again

Where abouts is the free service manual?

seadoomanuals.com

It is not bad with one hand, I installed the the cone so it just touches the pump shaft with almost no pressure, install your pusher tool and the cone should slide in all the way with almost no pressure again, then install the screws all the way but make sure the pusher is fully depressed the entire time. After the screws are tight let off the pusher and then push in and out a little and you should feel the spring expand and contract.

Thanks, I did do it again in my lunch break, put it all together with an Allen key in the hole pressing the plastic back wedged against my stomach and like u said the cone slides right on. Then while still wedged I did the 3 up, released it and it goes back and forth again like u said. I found that while it's pressed in I get a small amount of end float and when I let the spring push out it takes all the end float out. I then started to fill the hole with a syringe.

Now a lot of people say it needs a pressure test? Is this really necessary, or am I safe to stick it all back in and take craft out for an hour or so and check oil for water when I get back in?

I have never done the pressure check but I do use the recomended Loctite 518 sealant on the o-ring and 1211 on the plug. It does help some sleep better and is a good idea. But you will have to decide if it is necessary. I have also seen some reuse the o-ring with no issues.

Cheers for that mikidymac. I used a new o-ring and a dab of sealer. Think I can sleep safe now. I wouldn't of minded really on my own ski as theres only me to blame, but don't want my mates pump to destroy itself lol

It will be fine. With the Cheers and Mates I thought I was talking to an Ausi until I saw the UK. Well then G-day.

Thread Information