Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Engine Tear Down

Hey guys,
    I've started my first engine tear down and am doing it for a close friend of mine who's ski starting acting up at the end of last years riding season. So as the story goes he let a friend borrow the ski (04 RXP) for the weekend, two days later the friend returns the ski saying its smoking allot and not running right. So he calls me and i come over start messing around with it and find that the SC impeller wheels had become unbolted from the shaft! I check to make sure the washers are the etc etc and they are in-tacked and looking good so i buy a new charger and put it in thinking it'll fix the problem. On the first test ride it still wants to bog and smells of burning antifreeze. So I now know that wasnt the only problem. I began school in a few weeks so i told him to take it to a local shop and have them look at it. The shop after having it for 3 months...literally 3 months! tells him that it'll be 5 grand... He doesnt wanna pay 5 grand for a ski thats only worth 5K so he says if i want I can take it and tinker with it.

I refuse to believe that it'd cost 5K...I mean thats seem ridiculous! Combine that with the long wait i just got the feeling that the mechanic didnt want to deal with it. So i brought it home pulled the Head and intake mani off and this is what i found.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	267798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1120.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	267799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1121.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	267800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	267801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1123.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	267802

+1
    You should do a step by step process of the whole rebuild!

+1
    Thats what i was planning on doing, just thought I'd start right here with trying to figure out exactly why im having to do it hahha.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oct6454 View Post
    Thats what i was planning on doing, just thought I'd start right here with trying to figure out exactly why im having to do it hahha.
    To learn! haha. At least you don't have to learn on your own engine!!

+1
    Should have done a compression test and/or leak down test before you tore the head off, sounds to me like all you may have needed was a new head gasket and your on your way........Nothing looks that bad in the pic's you posted.........

+1
    Sorry i forgot to mention that i did a compression test and the "bad cylinder" Was lower then the other two. The cylinder that i was having issues with was the one on the far right. The exhaust valves on Cyl #3 are the one with the black crusted crap on them.

+1
    That black crusted crap is probably the result of a leaky head gasket. I would check the block and head surface's for straightness and if they are good throw a new head gasket at her and see how she goes. Nothing in the pic's really depic's the need to rebuild the motor unless thats just something you want to do then go for it.

The problem you explained(On the first test ride it still wants to bog and smells of burning antifreeze) would tell me a blown head gasket. Did the motor make any noises while running like a rod knock or ticking?? If not and just smelled of antifreeze and would bog down(because motors don't like to run on water/antifreeze) while running then that's probably all thats wrong.

+1
    ball hone it, new rings, valve job and resurface and let it eat !!!!!!!!!! don't forget new rod bolts and what ever bolts need replacing !!!!!

+1
    It was extremely strange in how it was acting, it'd bog down and really shake kinda like when you have a stick in you prop. It'd run normal until you hit that 4k rpm mark and then itd fall on its face. I dropped a bolt down threw the timing chain whole..............

+1
    How's the PTO side look like

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information