Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Loaded VXR w/ reflashlosing 5 MPH...

I got a couple 2011 VXRs one with Riva Free Flow, Riva Cold Air Intake, Riva Ribbon Delete, R&D Pro 2 Scoop, and R&D Stage 3 Reflash. The other with everything except the reflash. Last year I ran both skis with the original R&D scoop and neither with a reflash and was GPSing 69-69.6 consistently. This year after adding the upgraded R&D pro 2 scoop to both (after Julio's buck) I am GPSing 64 on the one without the reflash and 64.7 on the one with the reflash...WTH?!?! I checked the GPS on the way home just to check and make sure something wasn't up, but it was perfect. I know some guys are cutting on the Pro 2 to get more water, but that is way beyond my capabilities and seems a little too dangerous for my undertaking. Also, it may need to be noted that I checked and my RPMs seemed to be around 8050 on the reflashed unit, but kinda hard to tell. I am wondering what to do...would the original (but slightly beefed up) scoop be better to get the speed back up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (I'll go ahead and be the first to say get a FZR on this thread since I know that's what some will say)

+1
    You have a cracked pump nozzle, Julio...

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Dang, didn't think about that, but remember you having a problem with that. How much speed did the 3 bar grate cost you before you chunked it? I left both skis at the lake house, but may make the trip to check the pump nozzles.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    julio, did the design change for 2012 that you know of?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    I wonder if opening up the nozzle to an 87 and repitching would help. Something sounds weird. You should have gained a hell of a lot with that reflash.

Yea, it's got to be something, I was all geeked up about getting out today and first ski I saw was an '11 RXT 255, usually they will smoke me out of the hole, but I can always catch and pass a stock one, and this guys was bone stock, but he jumped me out of the hole and was straight pulling on me for about a mile. I wonder if that new 3 bar grate is just starving it for water... or I guess it could be the pump nozzle, but on both skis seems really odd.

+1
    I lost about the same speed as you did. Went from 72mph to 62 to 64 when I found the cracked nozzle which I replaced and went right up to 74 mph all on a full tank of gas. I probably lost one mile an hour when I tried the three bar R&D grate. I believe I must have had a leaking nozzle for a while. I don't think they changed anything on 2012. They just used the nozzle from the vx110 which works fine for 110HP but not for our moddifyed units. Also these nozzles are 87mm, Julio...

+1
    i'm trying to gather up the parts to convert mine to the FZR/SHO nozzle and maybe install trim while i'm at it, might do manual adjust or the handle bar set up, depends on what a pain in the ass it it to install........

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    The 3 bar grate cost me 1.5 mph until I modded it.

I talked to my Yamaha inside service rep this morning and he reiterated the same thing Julio did, that it is probably the nozzle. So I went to the lake (where I left my skis) to check them out. However, much to my dismay they were in great shape. Since I was there I went out to do a speed run with the gas alarm beeping and still only managed 65.6 on the one with the R&D Stage 3. So I called R&D and talked their engineer and he told me that the 3 bar grate will slow me down around 3 MPH. He is sending me the beefed up original grate and I will send them my 3 bar grates in return. I will get them in Thursday and test on Saturday and let you guys know how that works out for me. I will say the guys at R&D were super willing to help and that really impressed me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information