Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Exclamation Jetworks Gone Wrong!!! (ever Had A Sinking Feeling?)

Alrighty guys, u gotta read this whole thread in order to grasp how ****ty I feel. YES! I sank my XLT!!! This is the 2nd ski that I own that sinks, however its' the 1st that sinks with me riding on it. My former SeaDoo sank tied to the dock. It got wedged under the dock at low tide & the tide simply rose over it at night, but thats another story... Let me tell u guys today's story...

I went to Blue Lagoon, a HUGE fresh water lake across from Miami Int'l Airport. After ridding for about 10 minutes I feel an incredible amount of power loss. No matter how much throttle I gave it, it stayed idle. As soon as I openned my back seat, I see the exhaust has come loose from the lower part of the PVC pipe as seen in the pic below & some (not much) water is coming in through the exhaust hose. As time progressed, the smoke from the exhuast worstened so I couldn't see inside the hull anymore. I turned on the bilge & simply kept idling towards the ramp. About 1/2 mile from the ramp, water starts pouring in vigorously, I could hear it coming in. There was nothing more I could do, I shut off the engine & let her go down in peace. I stayed on it until it couldn't hold me anymore & it just dumped me to the side. As usual, u know the nose stays above water like a scared beaver peaking out a burrow looking for a predator.
    Anyway, Some guy in a WaveRaider came to my rescue & pulled me towards the ramp. Powerful little raider by the way. It was interesting being the spectacle of the day, at the ramp I had about 30 ppl staring down at the nicely submerged 1200cc engine in the engine bay. I went home & did the ritual. Took out the spark plugs, cranked her up & let all the water out. I poured straight gas in all 3 cylinders & all it took was about 25 seconds worth of cranking with new plugs & she started right up. My 1200 is alive & well. Ok, back to why things happened. Here's where I begin using pictures...

U guys remember that straight exhaust that I did out of that 45 deg. PVC tube??? Here it is on the pic below, attached to both hoses completing the straight pipe system.

Now here's what it looked like because the Jetworks didn't pour water in my waterbox.

Here u can see that there are pieces of the melted PVC embeded inside the hose.

Now, u guys want to know why it happened????
    The damn hose that goes from the pump to the hull came undone!!! It left my waterbox dry at high RPM's creating extreme heat therefore melting the PVC pipe. I KNOW I fastened it correctly with one of the Island Racing stainless steel clamps & I used the high pressure hose. I decided to take out the spring & ball from the inside of the jetworks for the time being. I won't do otherwise until I see another 1200cc/1300cc engine with it installed with my bare eyes & working properly.

Worst of all, I honestly had no real gain from the Jetworks mod. Maybe it it does a better job on the GPR hulls but my XLT was only about one ski length faster than it was before.
    Last edited by PWCManiac; 01-14-2007 at 07:51 PM.

+1
    Damn, that sucks.

Sorry about your problems.

Man, that is CRAZY!! I just talked to WFO today about doing this mod. I have been thinking about it for a year but everytime I read a post like this it puts me off. I hope everything works out for you. I can't believe that hose just popped off and all went to sh*t.

+1
    Proper feed hose installation. This is why everyone stresses using good clamps and correct placement of the clamps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0001.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	427.1 KB 
ID:	14424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0003.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	412.3 KB 
ID:	14425  

did you ever run it on the trailer on the ramp to make sure the Valve was opening and closing at 3000 RPM. There is definitly somegthing else wrong here that your doing because a ton of guys are running jetworks with the PVC PIPE. If you have it open at 3000 you will feel the performance gain on the XLT it is very significant. Sorry for your loss but your lucky it was a fresh water lake and keep that thing running on the hose for an hour or two at the least or get it back to the lake and run it wide open for a good period of time to burn all the water out of your case so the crank doesnt rust!!! Wd 40 everything as well!!!!!
    Last edited by scittb; 01-14-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Yeah what puzzles me is how tight I had it on... It's driving me crazy. I need to think about options here. This is my next task for this week. Plus a new exhaust as it also warped my stock hose. I did run it on the hose for about 1 hour & 15 minutes. I will start her up again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Suthrn View Post
    Man, that is CRAZY!! I just talked to WFO today about doing this mod. I have been thinking about it for a year but everytime I read a post like this it puts me off. I hope everything works out for you. I can't believe that hose just popped off and all went to sh*t.
    Last edited by PWCManiac; 01-14-2007 at 07:56 PM.

i have been running it on my xlt for over two years and no problems, it also was a change on bottom end from night to day. it is awesome when it is working properly. no disrespect intended and sorry for your mishap.

Not at all Chezzy, infact this gives me hope that it will work, I will be looking into it in the next few days. Hopefully everything turns out for the best. I would love to run into someone locally that has the jetworks installed. Anyone have pics of their jetworks?

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzy View Post
    i have been running it on my xlt for over two years and no problems, it also was a change on bottom end from night to day. it is awesome when it is working properly. no disrespect intended and sorry for your mishap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Sorry for your loss but your lucky it was a fresh water lake and keep that thing running on the hose for an hour or two at the least or get it back to the lake and run it wide open for a good period of time to burn all the water out of your case so the crank doesnt rust!!! Wd 40 everything as well!!!!!
    Real good advice there. You dont want the water to damage your bearings. Run it on the hose for a while to get it hot enough to evaporate the water.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Real good advice there. You dont want the water to damage your bearings. Run it on the hose for a while to get it hot enough to evaporate the water.
    I'll second that, or take it out and run the snot out of it.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information