Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Hard 2 start after riding for awhile!

Very interesting that suddenly, after riding hard & well for 30-45 min, my '95 Xp is hard 2 start. If i let her Cool down 4 awhile, she starts right up & rides GREAT. She'll run fine when she's hot as long as i don't shut it off. But if u shut her off after riding awhile its hard 2 start until it cools down awhile.

Getting aggravating. Any ideas??

Thx

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Have you cleans the fuel system and if you did, did you change out the needle and seats?

+1
    I had local reputable SeaDoo dealership do last carb rebuild just a couple of months ago. I can only assume they did all the nec things.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brittrich View Post
    I had local reputable SeaDoo dealership do last carb rebuild just a couple of months ago. I can only assume they did all the nec things.
    the needle tends to wear and will stick in the seat. thats why it wont start. order some new ones, pop them in and your problem should dissapear.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    the needle tends to wear and will stick in the seat. thats why it wont start. order some new ones, pop them in and your problem should dissapear.
    +1

Just to help us a little more, Is it hard to start and fire or is it hard to turn over?

+1
    Hard to fire. Turns over just fine just won't run until it cools down for abot 15-20 minutes. Weird

Quote Originally Posted by mikidymac View Post
    Just to help us a little more, Is it hard to start and fire or is it hard to turn over?

The easy and inexpensive place to look is the fuel system as mentioned previously. There is also a check valve and pressure release on the fuel vent lines. Check those too. The check valve should be a one way valve to allow air replace the fuel used in the tank and the pressure release valve vents the tank if the internal pressure is too much. If the vent is bad could be causing a vacuum in the tank starving fuel and if the pressure release is bad could cause too much pressure and flood the engine.

The other thing is it could be an electrical issue. As electrical parts heat up their resistance increases and a part going out can get worse. This used to be a common problem on the stators for the old Kawasaki 550's, cold would run fine but when hot would be no spark.

while this may be a long shot I had an old superjet that would refuse to start hot when the top end started to get tired so it might be worth it to check the compression when hot. Also, when the exhaust manifold gaskets started to leak it would do the same as well. But when that happened it would just all the sudden not start at all, and then after it sat for 35 - 50 minutes it would fire again, but then again, that ski was decked out and never ran right come to think of it.

My guess is that you have a problem in the fuel system like the venting or something and when it sits, it allows air to enter the tank, and when the engine is running it has enough vacuum to keep fuel coming, but once it shuts off and the tank is under a vacuum it dosnt have enough pull to get fuel. But this is usually acompanied by poor performance, as the engine will be starving all of the time.

I have never seen it on a ski, but I had a mustang once that did the same garbage and after chasing it around for a year we finaly found the coil was bad and intermitently not working when hot.

I would say the next time it does it just for laughs and giggles open the gas gap and try and fire it off and see what happens, its a long shot but who knows?

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikidymac View Post
    The easy and inexpensive place to look is the fuel system as mentioned previously. There is also a check valve and pressure release on the fuel vent lines. Check those too. The check valve should be a one way valve to allow air replace the fuel used in the tank and the pressure release valve vents the tank if the internal pressure is too much. If the vent is bad could be causing a vacuum in the tank starving fuel and if the pressure release is bad could cause too much pressure and flood the engine.

The other thing is it could be an electrical issue. As electrical parts heat up their resistance increases and a part going out can get worse. This used to be a common problem on the stators for the old Kawasaki 550's, cold would run fine but when hot would be no spark.
    +1---What Miki said,,,had that happen to me before...try openint the gas cap next time your ski dies. That will allow the tank to vent in case there is a bad vent valve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information