Is a polaris 650SL any good?

Hello hows everyone doing? Not sure if im posting this in the right section, but my girlfriend is looking into buying a jet ski and not trying to spend too much. There is a 1992 Polaris 650SL for sale on the local craigslist with a nice shorelander trailer, he says he will take $650. This is the description he gives, "Polaris 650 sl jet ski. Motor rebuilt in 08. Comes with nice shore lander trailer. Trailer has new LED lights, bearing buddies and good tires. Runs good, only used 5 to 10 hours a summer so it is time to let it go." It looks pretty clean, but I told her she might just be getting into a big money pit and constant problems. Was wondering if you guys could give any input on the ski or what to look for when going to look at it? thanks a lot any help would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5N45I65F63Mb3L53J5c42c11c8bf084c0111b.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	267902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5N75G15Kc3G33Le3N5c420184e11b2ad81723.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	267903  

Tampa, FL
    Welcome to GH!
    Without knowing actual conditions of the ski it's hard to tell. What are compression numbers? How does the pump sound/look? How does she rev on trailer? If you don't have answer to these question then I'd suggest to stay away from it.
    Furthermore, if I were you I'd get a 3 seater ski so the two of you can ride together, or better yet get 2 skis so if one breaks down you still have the means to get back to shore.

Medina, Ohio, United States
    From the pics alone there are regular maintenance updates that need to be performed to keep the ski reliable. These things are pushing 20 years old now, and need to have some common issues addressed. You will need to spend additional money over and above the purchase price. The skis are not tough to work on at all. If you don't do it yourself, you could be looking at big $$$$...... If you are up for it, start reading here:

Looks like you are in North East Oakland County (MI)..? The ski does look to be in good condition with the original cover as well...... There are a few members in the area who might be able to help you take a look at it.....

Thanks for the quick input

Random Lake WI
    The first ones (1992) weren't the best even when new, had teething issues & if it wasn't maintained well, will get expensive in a hurry, & you will be wrenching all week for a couple hour ride on the weekend, on the bright side, lots of parts available & the trailer is worth 1/2 the asking price.

Thread Information