baldymgb

any one with knowledge on 96 slx 780 cdi advancement of timing

Hi just wondering about cdi or( stator) timing i know it is .188 before T D C on the 96 slx 780 at 3000 rpm to be set correctly ,,,,,, but i noticed when checking the timing this ski hits .188 BTDC at about 1100 rpm and stays at that point. Just am wondering if that is normal or is my cdi shot .. when i start it the red lite on the mfd flahes about 4 times then stops . Anyone know if that is normal ???? ANY INPUT GREATLY APPRECATED

+1
    The MFD Will flash when you start the ski, this is typical for "waking it up". If it continues flashing after that, it will most likely read some sort of fault like "fuel", "oi" or "temp" indicating to check those for trouble.......

I can't comment on the timing.....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Was the elec stator ever replaced or adjusted?

I would begin by looking at that before you go assuming anything is faulty. You may be able to adjust it to get it within spec.

baldymgb
    thanks for the info on the MFD and for the stator ,, i just changed it for another used one , the old one had a very low reading in the pulse coil , (I was thinking the low reading might be causing the bogging as i have done every thing else except the CDI or taking to grey wire off to get it to run ,,( new fuel lines , fuel pump kit , carbs cleaned new mukuni needels and seats , carbs set to specs ,clipped spark plug wires and all the coils are sparking and cyclinders are with in 5 % compression 140 ish ,the old stator it s omhs resitance was roughly 58 and was suppost to be around 90 omhs these are only ruff figures as i did test them last fall and just finaly found time to change the stator which had all the readings with in 10 % of the book , only thing left is the grey wire(I was thinking to maybe removing it and see if the timing changes) ???? does the grey wire need to be grounded or just disconnected )???? all the timing tests are done with the engine out bolted to a bench and all the wires hooked up and ski engine is being rotated with another gas engine belt and pulley system ) i am using the MFD tac to tell rpm At the moment the timing is right on when I am rotating engine at 3000 rpm the timing is .188 before TDC ,, which is correct by the book,, JUST SEEMS STRANGE THAT THE TIMING IS THE SAME FROM 1100 RPM TO 3000 RPM

+1
    First. Do you have the plug wires on the spark plugs or at least grounded? If not , that's a good way to fry something.

I've never heard of testing the timing like this. One problem with this method is you are spinning the motor without lubricating the bearings or cylinder walls. I don't think I would recommend using this method.

Since the motor is out of the ski the easiest thing is to remove the front cover and flywheel to inspect the stator. These Fuji's are really simple for timing. You should only need to line up the stamped mark on the stator with the line where the case halves meet. If they lineup and your flywheel key is good you should be in time.

If you want to test dynamic timing it should really be done with the motor powering itself.

KJ

baldymgb
    Thanks for the imput ,, yes all wires including plugs all grounded and all electrical is hookd up as if it were running on gas ,, and you bet added some oil to cylinders and bearings,, now I guess I am ready to reinstall it back into the ski ,, and wait for the lake to warm up my main ,,, I just happen to notice when I checked the timing on the newer stator that .188 BTDC timing is the same from 1100 rpm to 3000 rpm and thouth that was weird ,,

+1
    Check your timing at 3000 rpm and at approx 6000 rpm. (just before the rev limiter). Dont worry about the rest.
    Most of the Polaris (and 2-stroke ignitions dont start the retard curve until approx 3500 rpm.
    The 1996 & 1994, etc ignition had slightly different timing curves if I remember correctly, but they diffierence is minimal and they will all interchange. Just readjust the finish (higher timing) to the number in your OEM specification.
    The stator does nothing for the timing curve, it's a function of the CDI.

Regards,
    Randy

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Weber Guy View Post
    Check your timing at 3000 rpm and at approx 6000 rpm. (just before the rev limiter). Dont worry about the rest.
    Most of the Polaris (and 2-stroke ignitions dont start the retard curve until approx 3500 rpm.
    The 1996 & 1994, etc ignition had slightly different timing curves if I remember correctly, but they diffierence is minimal and they will all interchange. Just readjust the finish (higher timing) to the number in your OEM specification.
    The stator does nothing for the timing curve, it's a function of the CDI.

Regards,
    Randy

I would trust what that Weber guy has to say

baldymgb
    Thanks ,, about the high speed timing I don t recall seeing any other info except the timing at 3000 RPM does any one know what a 96 slx780 would be set to at 6000 RPM or where to find the info??? or can you even test it at 6000 RPM

Thread Information