2001 YAMAHA XLT 1200 Upgrades

Hello. Just purchased a used 2001 Yamaha XLT 1200. I know that there are two projects that I might want to begin. One is the installation of "keeper clips" on the exhaust valves. The other is to make sure that the oil lines cannot "pop off." These two projects are undoubtably mentioned in the forum somewhere, but rather than look I am sure that some gracious person out there immediately knows the location and will point me in the right direction without my having to spend hours searching for infornation as to these projects. Hows about it, can I get any help? Thanks for being there.

former sea doo owner, will never own one again.

Just re-built an XLT1200

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    Hello. Just purchased a used 2001 Yamaha XLT 1200. I know that there are two projects that I might want to begin. One is the installation of "keeper clips" on the exhaust valves. The other is to make sure that the oil lines cannot "pop off." These two projects are undoubtably mentioned in the forum somewhere, but rather than look I am sure that some gracious person out there immediately knows the location and will point me in the right direction without my having to spend hours searching for infornation as to these projects. Hows about it, can I get any help? Thanks for being there.

Good idea to also change out the PV couplers to the Wave Eater aftermarket ones. I just did the top end on my XLT1200. Might as well change out the Cat for the D-plate when you have the exhaust off and add the temp sensor. I also dumped all that intake ducting and air box for the after market one, way cleaner and let the motor breathe better. If you do that you will have to change the carb springs to decrease the pop-off prussure to 45-50. I also dumped the oil injection. You will read in these forum that a big problem witrh these motors. I had to have one of the cylinders re-plated because of that (trashed piston). Good luck!

thanks for the advice. can anyone point me in the direction of a website "how to" for 2001 - 2002 yamaha xlt 1200's as to the following?

how to obtain & install "keeper klips" in the exhaust system?

how to best secure the oil lines so that they do not "pop off"?

how to obtain & install new Wave Eater aftermarket PV couplers?

How to remove the cat/con and install a d-plate and a temp sensor?

how to "dump" the oil injection and still make sure motor gets proper oil?

how to exchange aftermarket air intake ducting and air box for the factory air intake ducting and air box?

these all seem like great projects. surely there are basic, numbskull instructions somewhere at this site that would tell me, a baisc numbskull, how to perform these remedidal measures, step-by-step? that's what i am looking for, basic instructions, if anyone can point me in the right direction. i intend to keep my yamaha xlt 1200's for a while, and i want to upgrade them and keep them running as best and as long as i can. thanks for your help and directions

Thread Information