Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Any carpenters out there ??

I am finishing my basement to get me through the winter and I need a hand ... My celing height is 104" I would like to build the walls to a heoght 99" and do a drywall ceiling.

I know to attach 2X2's perpindicular to the joists but that would be a bunch of layers to add. Can I attach 2X2 lumber above the top plate on the walls then (perpindicular to the joists) and attach a strip to the botton of the joist to give it support ? Kind of like a drop ceiling only with wood.

To attach the walls I plan to use blocks made from 2X4's to attach to the bottom of the joists.

+1
    go to your local drywall distributer and get drywall grid real easy to do like a acoustic drop but,stronger to hold the drywall

Bill,
    it would probably be a wavy ceiling when done. Why dont you go all the way up? Are you totally opposed to a drop/tile ceiling?

+1
    Steve and nater ---thanks.

Only reason I dont want to go all the way up is the framing would be much more complicated I can be under all the piping [email protected] the 99" also if I can build the walls on the floor I can do most of it on my own and save some money on lumber.

I am 99% on the drywall ceiling mosty because of looks. It is a really nice space I dont want it to seem like basement.

I did find the drywall grid systems on-line and that seems very doable . How does it end up wavy ? I would think using lumber on the joists would be any smoother.

Banned User
    +1
    What is directly ABOVE the proposed ceiling? If its a high traffic area you might get some flex in the flooring above...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post

Only reason I dont want to go all the way up is the framing would be much more complicated I can be under all the piping [email protected] the 99" also if I can build the walls on the floor I can do most of it on my own and save some money on lumber.

I am 99% on the drywall ceiling mosty because of looks. It is a really nice space I dont want it to seem like basement.

I did find the drywall grid systems on-line and that seems very doable . How does it end up wavy ? I would think using lumber on the joists would be any smoother.
    no you level it with the support wires. i use it on millon dollar stores with a 1/8" variable and it very strong ( we use 12' 5/8" drywall)

Banned User

I've seen it done just as you discribed in my fathers house and it turned out fine.. Try using 12' sheets to minimize joints! Use 1'X2" cut to whatever drop you choose, Pull a string at desired level then attach 1"X2" to Truss/Joist with bottom alligned to string, Build 1"X2" grid around previously attached 1"X2"'s(Double check the whole way with 6' level) Always glue and screw on ceilings!!

I was a painter and did drywall for years. One thing you learn...People don't look up.

Some of the hung ceilings available now are beautiful. Nothing like the old 2' X 4' industrial looking stuff.

Take a look here:
    http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...FU4-OAod6R5fHg

+1
    Holy crap...I just got a price for the ceiling grids. Looks like it runs about .55 a foot for the main channel and T sections thats nearly 8x what I would pay for the lumber.

Banned User
    Holy crap...I just got a price for the ceiling grids. Looks like it runs about .55 a foot for the main channel and T sections thats nearly 8x what I would pay for the lumber.
    Go lumber!! It will look better. It will be time consuming but worth while in the long run..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information