Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A few PWC questions - 2 stroke vs 4 on acceleration and fuel economy

I have a 1996 seadoo XP with the 787 motor. Its a nimble little thing with 110HP. The problem...it eats gas like its still 1 buck a gallon.

I am looking at getting a 4 stroke. I am totally lost. I will bold and outline my main questions and concerns.

Is a Yamaha VX 4 stroke slower than my seadoo xp on acceleration?

I was looking into this one since I hear it has the best? fuel economy out there. Is that even true? The only deal is I do NOT want anything that takes off any slower. I notice the top end speed is basically the same. I can go 52mph on my seadoo xp so the VX says 54-55mph or so. My concern is the VX is a bit heavier and still only has 110HP but I hear torque is what gets you to speed faster not HP.

Should I get a yamaha VX or what other model has good fuel economy and speed comparable to my seadoo xp?

My goal is to keep or beat the acceleration time on my 1996 seadoo XP but get a 4 stroke that uses less fuel. I looked into newer seadoos but they tend to be guzzlers of gas or maybe I am not looking at the right specs. I want to avoid those seadoo supercharged ones as I heard the supercharger needs rebuilding every 100 hours and it costs like 900 bucks. I know you need to replace the washers with stainless steel ones regardless.

This chart says my seadoo has a hourly WOT burn rate of 11.7GPH.
    http://www.angelfire.com/oh/theboatguy/fueleconomy.html

Does anyone know the 0-30mph time on a seadoo XP with the 787 motor?

I am just lost at what to get.

+1
    You're going to have to go with your gut but I have a data point for you. I log every gallon I use in my boats and I had a '96 GSX (which had the same 110 HP engine as your XP) and now a '09 Yamaha FZS with the supercharged 4 stroke. The GSX consumed 5.8 gal/engine hour and my FZS consumes 5.5 gph. In a shootout in the September 1998 issue of Personal Watercraft Illustrated, a 1998 SPX (which is basically the same as the 1996 XP) had a 0-20 MPH time of 1.68 sec and a 20-35 time of 1.18 sec and a peak speed of 57.98 MPH. Today's 4 strokes easily obliterate those numbers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cowsgonemadd3 View Post
    I have a 1996 seadoo XP with the 787 motor. Its a nimble little thing with 110HP. The problem...it eats gas like its still 1 buck a gallon.

I am looking at getting a 4 stroke. I am totally lost. I will bold and outline my main questions and concerns.

Is a Yamaha VX 4 stroke slower than my seadoo xp on acceleration?

I was looking into this one since I hear it has the best? fuel economy out there. Is that even true? The only deal is I do NOT want anything that takes off any slower. I notice the top end speed is basically the same. I can go 52mph on my seadoo xp so the VX says 54-55mph or so. My concern is the VX is a bit heavier and still only has 110HP but I hear torque is what gets you to speed faster not HP.

Should I get a yamaha VX or what other model has good fuel economy and speed comparable to my seadoo xp?

My goal is to keep or beat the acceleration time on my 1996 seadoo XP but get a 4 stroke that uses less fuel. I looked into newer seadoos but they tend to be guzzlers of gas or maybe I am not looking at the right specs. I want to avoid those seadoo supercharged ones as I heard the supercharger needs rebuilding every 100 hours and it costs like 900 bucks. I know you need to replace the washers with stainless steel ones regardless.

This chart says my seadoo has a hourly WOT burn rate of 11.7GPH.
    http://www.angelfire.com/oh/theboatguy/fueleconomy.html

Does anyone know the 0-30mph time on a seadoo XP with the 787 motor?

I am just lost at what to get.
    A supercharger costing 900 dollars to rebuild is false. You can buy a brand new supercharger less than that. It's about 300 for the parts and 75 labor to rebuild it. And is the money you spend for a new ski going to save you any money at the pump? Probably not. It'd take a long time to recoup any savings by getting a different ski.

+1
    This looks like a troll post to get traffic to his site..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    You're going to have to go with your gut but I have a data point for you. I log every gallon I use in my boats and I had a '96 GSX (which had the same 110 HP engine as your XP) and now a '09 Yamaha FZS with the supercharged 4 stroke. The GSX consumed 5.8 gal/engine hour and my FZS consumes 5.5 gph. In a shootout in the September 1998 issue of Personal Watercraft Illustrated, a 1998 SPX (which is basically the same as the 1996 XP) had a 0-20 MPH time of 1.68 sec and a 20-35 time of 1.18 sec and a peak speed of 57.98 MPH. Today's 4 strokes easily obliterate those numbers.
    A Yamaha VX won't. They only do 52 mph top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    This looks like a troll post to get traffic to his site..
    I would bet no, too much effort went into his post to be a troll. Anyways, OP have you considered a Honda like an R-12x? They are the most fuel efficient PWCs while the turbo engine should provide performance on par or better than your SPX.

+1
    I can agree i burn about 4 gal a hour how i ride 50% duty cycle . Also get about 7mpg with all the go fast parts thanks to the methanol.

+1

You want the Yamaha VXR. Fastest NA ski on the water;
    66-67 mph bone stock and over 70 mph with just a few basic mods, sips fuel and NO supercharger...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149032

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the n/a VXR is your ski. Quick, no supercharger to deal with, and playful (sort of - well as much as a 4 stroke can be).

I am no troll, thats just a site I saw that had a comparison chart for fuel economy numbers. Top end speed isnt something I need beyond say 55-60mph. My 1996 seadoo XP only goes 52mph on the GPS since the VTS is stuck in the middle.

Honda like an R-12x
    I have actually but you do not see a lot of them. I just am comparing all brands, trying to find one that won't use more gas than my current seadoo all while being as fast but a little more stable for 2 people. I am looking at buying a used one in the craigslist and not a new PWC.

Do you run Methanol as the fuel or is it a mix? Is it cheaper than gas?

There is more than one reason that I want to get another PWC, seeing that I want another one I want one with better fuel economy if possible. If not it better be faster haha

+1
    10-4 just looked like a form letter post and it was your first. Sorry if no offence intended.

Welcome to the Hulk..
    I am no troll, thats just a site I saw that had a comparison chart for fuel economy numbers. Top end speed isnt something I need beyond say 55-60mph. My 1996 seadoo XP only goes 52mph on the GPS since the VTS is stuck in the middle.

I have actually but you do not see a lot of them. I just am comparing all brands, trying to find one that won't use more gas than my current seadoo all while being as fast but a little more stable for 2 people. I am looking at buying a used one in the craigslist and not a new PWC.

Do you run Methanol as the fuel or is it a mix? Is it cheaper than gas?

There is more than one reason that I want to get another PWC, seeing that I want another one I want one with better fuel economy if possible. If not it better be faster haha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information