Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Low Oil Pressure Alarm 2005 Seadoo RXT

Hello,

My name is John. I am new to this forum stuff so I hope I am doing this right.

I am having an oil warning light issue with my 2005 Seadoo RXT jet-ski. Note that this problem occurred after a complete oil change including filter. I like to keep any machines that I own maintained so one of the first things I do for anything I buy is to try and obtain the service manuals and follow their recommendations for maintenance. I am the only person that has worked on this jet-ski. I have changed the oil and filter every 100 hours as recommended in the service manual. I have had this jet-ski since it was new, and other that general maintenance no other work has been done on it. I now have 405 hours on it. The problem I have is I get an oil warning light and the engine goes into limp mode after running it for about 20 minutes. I tested the jet-ski on the trailer by installing a manual oil pressure gauge at the optional cylinder head location, as instructed in the service manual, instead of removing the OPS (Oil Pressure Sensor) and installing at that location. This was so I could hook up an ohm meter and monitor the resistance of the OPS at the same time I monitored the oil pressure. The OPS resistance test showed infinite (open) with engine stopped and 4.6 ohms with engine running before reaching operating temperature. Manual oil pressure gauge read 35 PSI before reaching operating temperature. At idle and with engine at operating temperature the ohm meter showed open and the manual oil pressure gauge read 10 PSI. With engine at 5000 RPMs the ohm meter showed 4.6 ohms and the manual oil pressure gauge read 30 PSI. The manual states that the oil pressure should read a minimum of 20 PSI at idle and 25 – 35 PSI at 4000 – 7500 RPM. The 30 PSI reading I got with the engine at 5000 rpm was in tolerance with the manual. I was a little worried about the 10 PSI reading at idle but since the computer ignores the pressure switch at idle I assumed that this was not triggering the low pressure alarm. After doing some research I found that the OPS switch failing is a common occurrence with these jet-skis so I thought I would give it a try even though my test indicated it was functioning correctly. I installed the new switch, put everything back together, and gave the jet-ski a test run on the water hoping for the best. I got the same results as with the old OPS switch. I reinstalled the manual oil pressure gauge and ran the jet-ski on the water while monitoring the gauge. With engine at operating temperature and idling the gauge read 9 PSI. I ran the jet-ski up to 4000 RPM and gauge read 22 PSI. I ran the jet-ski up to 6000 RPM the gauge read 30 PSI. Whenever I throttled back below 4000 RPM the oil pressure would drop below 20 PSI and this would trigger the alarm. Turning the jet-ski off and back on would reset the alarm so I was able the repeat this test several times with the same results. Test indicates alarm is triggered when oil pressure drops below 20 PSI for anything above idle. As noted above, this problem started after oil and filter change so I was thinking I might try changing the oil and filter again in case I got a defective oil filter, plus I can inspect the oil and filter for anything unusual. A couple of things the manual states that could be causing the problem is the oil pump or oil pressure regulator. If the oil filter change doesn’t work I guess I’ll go in that direction. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be greatly appreciate hearing them. I will post any new results. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlk View Post
    Hello,

My name is John. I am new to this forum stuff so I hope I am doing this right.

I am having an oil warning light issue with my 2005 Seadoo RXT jet-ski. Note that this problem occurred after a complete oil change including filter. I like to keep any machines that I own maintained so one of the first things I do for anything I buy is to try and obtain the service manuals and follow their recommendations for maintenance. I am the only person that has worked on this jet-ski. I have changed the oil and filter every 100 hours as recommended in the service manual. I have had this jet-ski since it was new, and other that general maintenance no other work has been done on it. I now have 405 hours on it. The problem I have is I get an oil warning light and the engine goes into limp mode after running it for about 20 minutes. I tested the jet-ski on the trailer by installing a manual oil pressure gauge at the optional cylinder head location, as instructed in the service manual, instead of removing the OPS (Oil Pressure Sensor) and installing at that location. This was so I could hook up an ohm meter and monitor the resistance of the OPS at the same time I monitored the oil pressure. The OPS resistance test showed infinite (open) with engine stopped and 4.6 ohms with engine running before reaching operating temperature. Manual oil pressure gauge read 35 PSI before reaching operating temperature. At idle and with engine at operating temperature the ohm meter showed open and the manual oil pressure gauge read 10 PSI. With engine at 5000 RPMs the ohm meter showed 4.6 ohms and the manual oil pressure gauge read 30 PSI. The manual states that the oil pressure should read a minimum of 20 PSI at idle and 25 – 35 PSI at 4000 – 7500 RPM. The 30 PSI reading I got with the engine at 5000 rpm was in tolerance with the manual. I was a little worried about the 10 PSI reading at idle but since the computer ignores the pressure switch at idle I assumed that this was not triggering the low pressure alarm. After doing some research I found that the OPS switch failing is a common occurrence with these jet-skis so I thought I would give it a try even though my test indicated it was functioning correctly. I installed the new switch, put everything back together, and gave the jet-ski a test run on the water hoping for the best. I got the same results as with the old OPS switch. I reinstalled the manual oil pressure gauge and ran the jet-ski on the water while monitoring the gauge. With engine at operating temperature and idling the gauge read 9 PSI. I ran the jet-ski up to 4000 RPM and gauge read 22 PSI. I ran the jet-ski up to 6000 RPM the gauge read 30 PSI. Whenever I throttled back below 4000 RPM the oil pressure would drop below 20 PSI and this would trigger the alarm. Turning the jet-ski off and back on would reset the alarm so I was able the repeat this test several times with the same results. Test indicates alarm is triggered when oil pressure drops below 20 PSI for anything above idle. As noted above, this problem started after oil and filter change so I was thinking I might try changing the oil and filter again in case I got a defective oil filter, plus I can inspect the oil and filter for anything unusual. A couple of things the manual states that could be causing the problem is the oil pump or oil pressure regulator. If the oil filter change doesn’t work I guess I’ll go in that direction. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be greatly appreciate hearing them. I will post any new results. Thanks.

This happened to my ski with 350 hours and the oil light came after 5000 rpm, I could not figure out what the hell it was .I did the same things you are doing now and nothing.So I finaly changed out the oil pressure regulator and that was it.I bought everything new and I did it with the motor in the ski , just unbolted the rear motor mounts and jacked up the motor and replaced it. if you cannot do it that way then you have to remove the pto cover and change it that way. the oil regulator is under the oil filter housing. And you should be changing the oil at 15 to 20 hours not 100. thats what I do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxtmike View Post
    This happened to my ski with 350 hours and the oil light came after 5000 rpm, I could not figure out what the hell it was .I did the same things you are doing now and nothing.So I finaly changed out the oil pressure regulator and that was it.I bought everything new and I did it with the motor in the ski , just unbolted the rear motor mounts and jacked up the motor and replaced it. if you cannot do it that way then you have to remove the pto cover and change it that way. the oil regulator is under the oil filter housing. And you should be changing the oil at 15 to 20 hours not 100. thats what I do.
    Good post, I had similar experience, read this post for more info: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109923

The regulators on this year of ski normally start out closed to build oil pressure at low rpms. As rpms increase and oil pressure goes up, the oil pressure overcomes spring pressure and opens the regulator, regulating the oil pressure from going too high. The oil sensors do fail sometimes on these skis, and can cause alarms, but if you replace them and still get alarms, it is almost certainly the oil pressure regulator. You will get alarms if oil pressure is TOO LOW ... but you will also get alarms if oil pressure is TOO HIGH.

It almost sounds like your oil pressure regulator is stuck open ... mine was scored and stuck closed, would not open correctly. I had HIGH oil pressure that was detected at 5000 rpm and higher, and also puked oil in my catch can due to high pressure.

Not uncommon to have oil pressure regulators fail on older skis like ours ... get some hours on them and they get sticky and need replacing on some skis.

Thanks for the great info rxtmike and vern. I am taking your advice and will replace the oil pressure regulator. I have very little confidence that the problem will be fixed by changing the oil and filter so I am going straight to the regulator. I contacted all of the dealers in my area and only one had some of the parts so I have the rest on order. Should be in middle of next week. Will post my results when installation complete. As for changing the oil and filter every 100 hours, I was just following what the Operators Guide and Service Manual recommended, but I can agree that changing it more often can never hurt. Thanks again!

Oil pressure switch, go down when hit by any alien fluid.

I'm sure you just need to replace the sensor!

Yours.

Have a question for rxtmike. Did you have to pull the drive shaft in order to lift the back of the motor enough to remove the oil pressure regulator?

+1
    yes . you have to pull the drive shaft, then remove one motor mount on the right side .and lift it up.

Bummer, ok gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for the quick response rxtmike. I'm thinking I will pull the water pump to.

Another question for rxtmike. Pulled the oil pressure regulator out today. It has some wear marks but it does not look that bad to me. Compared the old springs with the new springs and they look good as far as length. Did yours look like it had a lot of wear on it?

When mine was damaged, it was stuck in the cage, but I had too high of pressure. When was the last time the. Supercharger was rebuit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information