Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 Stroke ban on Lake Powell

This really sucks, but you all know how the government controls our lives. As of dec 31st, 2012 all 2 stroke pwcs will be banned on Lake Powell. Apparently they are going to allow DI 2 strokes only. All of my customers are asking me if there is a way to convert their units to fuel injection so they can still use them. Anyone know of an aftermarket company that does this? I can imagine the cost involved in something like this but thought I would ask. thanks

+1
    Not wroth it to convert. But they can put a 4 stroak motor in the old hull. $$$ That to bad I stop going there because of the first time they did that with the bane + the water was low. Good luck. If I decide to buy new skis. I might come down.

+1
    I would think the FI off of a Snow Mobile would cross over fairly easy.. They are big high powered twins and tripples just like Skis. Buy some Fuel Managment systems in bulk and rock out conversions...

They were Injecting the Sled motors back in the 90's I think

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by terkkata View Post
    This really sucks, but you all know how the government controls our lives. As of dec 31st, 2012 all 2 stroke pwcs will be banned on Lake Powell. Apparently they are going to allow DI 2 strokes only. All of my customers are asking me if there is a way to convert their units to fuel injection so they can still use them. Anyone know of an aftermarket company that does this? I can imagine the cost involved in something like this but thought I would ask. thanks
    Are they banning 2 stroke outboards too, or just targeting PWC?

They're just targeting PWCs at present. They've been trying to ban them for years now, starting in the mid 90s. Their initial complaint was against the standup guys since they usually hang around 50-100' off shore and the old side-exit 440s and 550s were LOUD.

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    When they banned skis here ( http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/...t0040001.shtml ) only those who rode skis commented. Meanwhile, ecothugs from across the country signed on to fighting our freedom. They come in swarms, they got thousands of signitures, they (don't have jobs?) have time to fight. It's a social thing, it's a hippie-cool thing. It's coming to a neighborhood near you - they are working on as many places as they can get. Here, they called it "criticle habitat", the environment. That one carries the most weight if they can find a way to squeeze that issue in. We have to fight these challenges as they pop up, no matter where it is. If the ban is because of unmuffled skis squirrelin around in front of some condos... Thanks a lot for getting yet another area cut off, fellas.
    Who is the local representative of common sense and personal freedom there? Can we help? Maybe some activism from our side is in order. Could enough letters help get the area ban switched to a decible (100db, maybe?) ban, instead?.. In the mean time, get a freakin muffler on your skis before you ruin it for everybody, kids that like it loud. It is YOU that causes this. The higher wavelength sound of a two-stroke doesn't even carry that far. Could you really not wait to get away from the houses before rappin it out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZuminaZX View Post
    They're just targeting PWCs at present. They've been trying to ban them for years now, starting in the mid 90s. Their initial complaint was against the standup guys since they usually hang around 50-100' off shore and the old side-exit 440s and 550s were LOUD.
    This is the same discrimination we have seen all across the nation; I suggest you approach your local leaders with the facts; because they can't fairly ban 2 stroke PWC without banning 2 stroke outboards. Trust me they will come after the 4 stroke PWC next; I have tons of facts on my signature thread about the techniques and distortions of the green nazis; some of the links are broken now but I do have posts dedicated to 2 strokes, 4 strokes, pollution, noise levels, birds and wildlife, case history, etc., it's all there, give it a read and don't be afraid to join with local rider groups and take action against these ignorant elected officials because they are only employees of the tax payers! If all else fails, vote their azzes out of office!

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    This is the same discrimination we have seen all across the nation; I suggest you approach your local leaders with the facts; because they can't fairly ban 2 stroke PWC without banning 2 stroke outboards. Trust me they will come after the 4 stroke PWC next; I have tons of facts on my signature thread about the techniques and distortions of the green nazis; some of the links are broken now but I do have posts dedicated to 2 strokes, 4 strokes, pollution, noise levels, birds and wildlife, case history, etc., it's all there, give it a read and don't be afraid to join with local rider groups and take action against these ignorant elected officials because they are only employees of the tax payers! If all else fails, vote their azzes out of office!
    Indeed, I wish we there was a higher level of organization to fight this nonesense. It comes down to dollars and cents at the end of the day. The group that financed [bought] this bill had a lot of celebrities and wealthy people. They've been at this for almost 20 years now, they just finally won the war of legal-fee attrition.
    I don't quite understand why they made the final push to get it passed now anyway since carb PWCs (except for the SXR and SJ) have been out of production for almost 10 years. It's definitely an environmental issue but it's also a "public safety" interest. I can understand both and I'm left to assume that if these folks had their way in all aspects of transportation the motorcycle would be banned for road use! They too produce a significant amount of pollution and are dangerous to operate.
    I'm a Utah resident myself and I'm going to enjoy my last bit of two-stroke use on Lake Powell in August. I was thinking about buying a bunch of "DI" stickers and putting them all over my boats in the hope that inexperienced gate-rangers would let me pass. Who knows. The real tragedy here is that 2T pwcs will be banned from all state parks in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When they banned skis here ( http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/...t0040001.shtml ) only those who rode skis commented. Meanwhile, ecothugs from across the country signed on to fighting our freedom. They come in swarms, they got thousands of signitures, they (don't have jobs?) have time to fight. It's a social thing, it's a hippie-cool thing. It's coming to a neighborhood near you - they are working on as many places as they can get. Here, they called it "criticle habitat", the environment. That one carries the most weight if they can find a way to squeeze that issue in. We have to fight these challenges as they pop up, no matter where it is. If the ban is because of unmuffled skis squirrelin around in front of some condos... Thanks a lot for getting yet another area cut off, fellas.
    Who is the local representative of common sense and personal freedom there? Can we help? Maybe some activism from our side is in order. Could enough letters help get the area ban switched to a decible (100db, maybe?) ban, instead?.. In the mean time, get a freakin muffler on your skis before you ruin it for everybody, kids that like it loud. It is YOU that causes this. The higher wavelength sound of a two-stroke doesn't even carry that far. Could you really not wait to get away from the houses before rappin it out?
    Yes, and it's actually been getting worse now that 1100s are being stuffed into X2s and waveblasters. They're incredibly loud since they usually retain the original waterbox setup, which not only is of very old, unbaffled design, but woefully inadequate to handle double the amount of exhaust gasses. Of course, no one cares about someone running dual 454s with straight, above the water line pipes.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    How do you get 2 - 454's in a Sea-Doo???

let alone an X2.

...although there is a fellow here that has a trike with an L-78 350 sm. blk. chevy - it accelerates as fast as a damn bullet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information