Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Plastic pump performance on a 2000 xpl?

My plastic pump is damaged and found a great deal on a bronze. Is it true that the plastic pump is better performance? Does it add another 1mph on top? I did a search but not find a clear answer.

Thanks

+1
    plastic is better

ya if you read ben's write up on the 951/ 1050 mods he says that with the plastic pump he gained around 2-3mph over the bronze pump. and he thought the bronze pump loaded the engine up more out of the hole.

+1
    is there any other explanation why plastic is better than bronze?applicable also on 140mm pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    ya if you read ben's write up on the 951/ 1050 mods he says that with the plastic pump he gained around 2-3mph over the bronze pump. and he thought the bronze pump loaded the engine up more out of the hole.

That is quite alot of performance over stock and I'm sure he's the man, but I read tons of info on PWC website for years and I did not see anyone claim that the 2000 -2004 XPL's (plastic pumps) were faster than the 1998-1999 XPL's (bronze) models. So that would mean the 2000 -2004 would go 63-64 stock right?

+1
    I think they are a little quicker by maybe 1 mph but not 2-3. I like them because you dont have to silicone them back in each time you change props or oil the pump, you just remove the stainless spacers use the big O/ring and bolt it up and instantly ready for action.They dont crack the outer shell like the bronze ones did and they are lighter which is the best improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    I think they are a little quicker by maybe 1 mph but not 2-3. I like them because you dont have to silicone them back in each time you change props or oil the pump, you just remove the stainless spacers use the big O/ring and bolt it up and instantly ready for action.They dont crack the outer shell like the bronze ones did and they are lighter which is the best improvement.
    I was just going from Ben's post. I thought he said 2-3, or maybe it was 1-2 mph. What is it that youre supposed to silicone in everytime you have your pump out? The pump to the transom?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I was just going from Ben's post. I thought he said 2-3, or maybe it was 1-2 mph. What is it that youre supposed to silicone in everytime you have your pump out? The pump to the transom?
    yep, it's kind of a pain.

oops...but there is a rubber seal that goes there?

Quote Originally Posted by gnxv6 View Post
    That is quite alot of performance over stock and I'm sure he's the man, but I read tons of info on PWC website for years and I did not see anyone claim that the 2000 -2004 XPL's (plastic pumps) were faster than the 1998-1999 XPL's (bronze) models. So that would mean the 2000 -2004 would go 63-64 stock right?

i agree with this statement as i pulled my rx plastic pump and tested it on my 99model xpl with a bronze pump and it did the exact same speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information