Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Ski wouldn't stop running

Hi, first of all I just rebuild this Yamaha SUV. I have not put it in the water yet. I hook it up with a flush kit and run the engine. the engine was running smooth at arround 3000 rpm not under load. Then suddenly it start to increase speed, I then turn off the water and hit the stop switch..... nothing happened, engine speed still going up. So i pull the lanyard out, nothing happened, engine still running fast. I pause for about 5 sec not knowing what to do. I turn back the water so that the engine will not overheat. Then i turn off the gas supply. that is when it finally kill it.

During the rebuild I did check the Kill switch and stop switch with a multimeter and it is working fine. This is not the first time i run the ski on land, the stop switch and the kill switch have been working well. Also after this incident the kill switch and stop switch work again. SO any one have any idea why this happened?

Also, most important, is there any other way to stop the engine is this happened again?

+1
    You most likely have an air leak, creating a lean conditon causing it to runaway. Crankcase leak most likely, or a carb issue.

+1
    it cant be engine leak as i have done the leak down test.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=172522
    also will the lean condition cause the kill switch and stop switch not to function?

Banned User
    +1
    LEAN runaway. Its from to lean condition maybe from setting bad gas ect. Anytime this happens the engine is in a desiel mode ie it needs no spark to keep running. There is only one thing that will shut it down quickley belive it or not.
    Hold The THROTTLE WIDE OPEN and hit the kill button it will die right away

Empty carbs will do this best way to work it is with a primer setup

I have 2 1200's and if you rebuild the carbs this can happen

it's not permanent but expected so get them full ( suck start through the return line ) or get ready to cover the carbs and choke it out a few times

if you have a primer you can pump it and it brings the run away under control

otherwise you can try the above mentioned but if your carb throats are exposed during this I just cover them if I don't have a primer

so don't fret go try it again .. after you change your underwear

+1
    Lean runaway. Either case leak, dry carbs, fuel lines plumbed backwards,

Next time, just open the throttle all the way. It will die within seconds.

+1
    I see. i rebuild the whole engine including the carbs. now i know it is not the engine because i did the leak down pressure test. so it will be the carbs then. my carbs is all stock setting. it is 65psi and i don't ave the frame arrestor on (so that i can adjust the needle easy). i think that is the cause of the problem. As mention in the mikuni manual, high pop off for stock frame arrestor due to higher air restriction. Since I have no frame arrestor on there is no air restriction so no pop off and cause dry carbs..... Thanks man, I was so scare that the engine will burn when it refuse to shut down...... Thanks for all your helps.

+1
    When this happened to me, I ended up pulling the spark plug wires off and it STILL RAN, imagine my surprise!! Mine was the idle speed was set too high on the fresh rebuild. Had to shut the fuel off to stop it, and I am very happy it had a shutoff valve, many here don't.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    When this happened to me, I ended up pulling the spark plug wires off and it STILL RAN, imagine my surprise!! Mine was the idle speed was set too high on the fresh rebuild. Had to shut the fuel off to stop it, and I am very happy it had a shutoff valve, many here don't.
    So, how your's got fix?

Called a runaway two stroke. Check your gaskets between the carbs and cylinder. If there's an air leak there it will cause this since it will still draw fuel from the bowl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information