Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

How to wash inside hull or engine bay?

Searched first: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64

Is there a proper way to wash the inside of a Seadoo hull for general cleaning after say a salt water ride or just to keep things clean or new looking? A light spray with a garden hose nozzle or? Just got an 06 GTX and would like to know how to keep inside the hull clean. Any areas to watch for as to not get wet like electronics, intakes etc? I honestly don't wash inside hulls because nervous of causing water in wiring connectors or engine ingestion. I only use shop rags and some anti corrosion sprays like Fluid Film on the engine and WD-40 on the rest. Read WD-40 isn't best on plastics and wiring. I do use SaltAway to flush. Have been reading the benefit in doing a dilute soap/water wash first then after drying the sprays as to keep things new. Any procedures, products, etc. from guys that do it would be great.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? RXPX's Avatar
    You shouldn't hurt anything with normal garden hose pressure. If you ride in salt water then you will do much more damage by not washing out your hull.

WD-40 isn't the best for anything in your engine bay, it washes off too easily as well as being bad for rubbers and plastics. Get something designed as a heavy duty lubricant with anti-corrosive properties. I use Lanox (not Inox) but it's an Australian brand of lube. I've heard others talking about one called MX5.

+1
    +1, wash engine and hull completely with garden hose, when it's dry the next day, spray Lanox over it!

+1
    Let an American GH night shifter answer for once.

I spray it down with a hose and used to use WD-40. I was given a free sample of Fluid Film and seen some demos from a FF rep and I never looked back. Its really worth the extra couple bucks...

I usually spray a light mist with the garden hose inside the hull starting from the front of the ski than dry it up using w leaf blower than spray fluid film lightly over the engine and metals.. Also curious how long do you wait after riding to spray the warm engine with cold water?

+1
    I do use the Fluid Film, but it is really thick. My main concern in flushing the hull is to not get plugs or connectors wet. Starting to do more ocean riding... salt water and don't want the interior to get nasty. So far:

Disconnect battery when not in use(after flushing)
    Flush pump and wash the exterior hull
    Flush interior of hull with Saltaway or some diluted Dawn solution. Using a light mist?
    Wait until next day to coat engine, pump and whatever else that needs it
    Coat trailer also

I am really nervous about wetting the engine and wiring. Any other idea before coating it with FF?

I Wouldn't recommend soaking the engine with water, especially a hot engine. I usually let engine dry for a few hours but while its warm, I'll get an old sock or any material, Wet it and wipe down the engine... You will normally see white salt water marks on the engine and it will wipe off quite easily. You may even use some salt away on that clothe than I'll wash the hull with fresh water and you'll have fresh water indirectly hitting your engine which will help keep your engine clean. Fill the hull with some fresh water and undo the plugs..

+1
    I pulled all of my electrical connections apart and used liberal amounts of Dow Corning DC4 dielectric compound. You never have to worry about any water getting in there again...

+1
    After cleaning the engine with hose garden, I use air gun to remove small water pouch... So it doesn't leave a white stain and help to remove whatever for faster dry.

+1
    I spray everything under the seat with fresh water and use a dryer to blow the water off. If I'm laying the boat up for a while, I remove the engine cover and spray all metal parts with XPS (available from a Sea-Doo dealer). I don't like Fluid Film because it is too thick and it stinks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information