Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

2005 RXT cranks slow even with spark plugs out

So I'm working on a buddies '05 RXT that he just bought. It has 113 hours on it. It the classic "Owner said all it needs is a new battery and it'll run fine." Well, we charged the battery and added two jumper/booster packs to it and it still cranks slow (almost doesn't crank at all) and won't start. So I pulled the plugs and it cranks a little better but still slow. It also sounds like something is seized. It squeals a little bit when cranking sometimes. I don't know it might be the starter squealing.
    I did a quick search and looks like I need to try jumping the starter solenoid and see how it does. Other possibilities I can across is a seized jetpump bearing, seized supercharger or a bad starter. Or maybe even a bad engine.
    What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Any other ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    So I'm working on a buddies '05 RXT that he just bought. It has 113 hours on it. It the classic "Owner said all it needs is a new battery and it'll run fine." Well, we charged the battery and added two jumper/booster packs to it and it still cranks slow (almost doesn't crank at all) and won't start. So I pulled the plugs and it cranks a little better but still slow. It also sounds like something is seized. It squeals a little bit when cranking sometimes. I don't know it might be the starter squealing.
    I did a quick search and looks like I need to try jumping the starter solenoid and see how it does. Other possibilities I can across is a seized jetpump bearing, seized supercharger or a bad starter. Or maybe even a bad engine.
    What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Any other ideas?
    First thing I'd do is pull the pump, and check that. That will rule out pump bearings or be the cause of your problem.

next thing I do is pull the SCer. at 100 hours, needs a rebuild, and hopefully it didn't drop any washers....

+1
    Do a compression check, it is possible the cyl are rusted down. Also check the voltage at the starter when cranking. What did plugs look like?

+1
    You can't just pull the pump and crank it over, the driveshaft will be unsupported and will whip around and cause damage to the tunnel. If you pull the driveshaft too, oil will come out (lots) when you crank the engine over. Maybe remove the pump and see if you can turn the impeller by hand to check the pump.

Definitely pull the SC off and see if that turns by hand too, should spin very easily. I agree you want to check both pump and SC first to rule those out, then next the engine. Squirt some light oil down the cylinders (maybe WD 40) too. The squealing is not good ... hopefully it is SC bearings and nothing else.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    You can't just pull the pump and crank it over, the driveshaft will be unsupported and will whip around and cause damage to the tunnel. If you pull the driveshaft too, oil will come out (lots) when you crank the engine over. Maybe remove the pump and see if you can turn the impeller by hand to check the pump.

Definitely pull the SC off and see if that turns by hand too, should spin very easily. I agree you want to check both pump and SC first to rule those out, then next the engine. Squirt some light oil down the cylinders (maybe WD 40) too. The squealing is not good ... hopefully it is SC bearings and nothing else.
    my bad, I was thinking yamaha - yeah, pull the pump and check that first.

I'll edit my post....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrxp View Post
    Do a compression check, it is possible the cyl are rusted down. Also check the voltage at the starter when cranking. What did plugs look like?
    Can't really do a compression test, it doesn't really crank fast enough. Barely cranks at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post

I think I'll get the ski over to my house tonite or tommorrow and pull the supercharger. It looks easy enough to get to. I just have a feeling thats where the problem is. Thank you.

+1
    Dragging starter?

+1
    It could be. I can't wait to tear into this thing and figure it out. Sooner I fix it, the sooner I get to take it out and test ride it!
    My truck is in the body shop, so my other friend is gonna bring it over later tonite

Banned User
    +1
    You can quickly pull the SC discharge tube that goes to the throttle body...If its got silver dust in it, SC failed...

+1
    Well in that case, I think the supercharger failed. I took the duct off, stuck my fingers in there and they came out with a grey/silver something on them. I wasn't able to remove it tonite because I don't have my inverted torx sockets at home.
    I can jiggle(rotate) the the SC impeller a little bit. I'll have to just take it off tomorrow and check it out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information