Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Yamaha artisan Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,500
    +1
    55

    2005 RXT cranks slow even with spark plugs out

    So I'm working on a buddies '05 RXT that he just bought. It has 113 hours on it. It the classic "Owner said all it needs is a new battery and it'll run fine." Well, we charged the battery and added two jumper/booster packs to it and it still cranks slow (almost doesn't crank at all) and won't start. So I pulled the plugs and it cranks a little better but still slow. It also sounds like something is seized. It squeals a little bit when cranking sometimes. I don't know it might be the starter squealing.
    I did a quick search and looks like I need to try jumping the starter solenoid and see how it does. Other possibilities I can across is a seized jetpump bearing, seized supercharger or a bad starter. Or maybe even a bad engine.
    What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Any other ideas?


  2. #2
    rangermtb5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    4,473
    +1
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    So I'm working on a buddies '05 RXT that he just bought. It has 113 hours on it. It the classic "Owner said all it needs is a new battery and it'll run fine." Well, we charged the battery and added two jumper/booster packs to it and it still cranks slow (almost doesn't crank at all) and won't start. So I pulled the plugs and it cranks a little better but still slow. It also sounds like something is seized. It squeals a little bit when cranking sometimes. I don't know it might be the starter squealing.
    I did a quick search and looks like I need to try jumping the starter solenoid and see how it does. Other possibilities I can across is a seized jetpump bearing, seized supercharger or a bad starter. Or maybe even a bad engine.
    What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Any other ideas?
    First thing I'd do is pull the pump, and check that. That will rule out pump bearings or be the cause of your problem.

    next thing I do is pull the SCer. at 100 hours, needs a rebuild, and hopefully it didn't drop any washers....

  3. #3
    Stockrxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,009
    +1
    1
    Do a compression check, it is possible the cyl are rusted down. Also check the voltage at the starter when cranking. What did plugs look like?

  4. #4
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128
    You can't just pull the pump and crank it over, the driveshaft will be unsupported and will whip around and cause damage to the tunnel. If you pull the driveshaft too, oil will come out (lots) when you crank the engine over. Maybe remove the pump and see if you can turn the impeller by hand to check the pump.

    Definitely pull the SC off and see if that turns by hand too, should spin very easily. I agree you want to check both pump and SC first to rule those out, then next the engine. Squirt some light oil down the cylinders (maybe WD 40) too. The squealing is not good ... hopefully it is SC bearings and nothing else.

  5. #5
    rangermtb5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    4,473
    +1
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    You can't just pull the pump and crank it over, the driveshaft will be unsupported and will whip around and cause damage to the tunnel. If you pull the driveshaft too, oil will come out (lots) when you crank the engine over. Maybe remove the pump and see if you can turn the impeller by hand to check the pump.

    Definitely pull the SC off and see if that turns by hand too, should spin very easily. I agree you want to check both pump and SC first to rule those out, then next the engine. Squirt some light oil down the cylinders (maybe WD 40) too. The squealing is not good ... hopefully it is SC bearings and nothing else.
    my bad, I was thinking yamaha - yeah, pull the pump and check that first.

    I'll edit my post....

  6. #6
    Yamaha artisan Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,500
    +1
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrxp View Post
    Do a compression check, it is possible the cyl are rusted down. Also check the voltage at the starter when cranking. What did plugs look like?
    Can't really do a compression test, it doesn't really crank fast enough. Barely cranks at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    You can't just pull the pump and crank it over, the driveshaft will be unsupported and will whip around and cause damage to the tunnel. If you pull the driveshaft too, oil will come out (lots) when you crank the engine over. Maybe remove the pump and see if you can turn the impeller by hand to check the pump.

    Definitely pull the SC off and see if that turns by hand too, should spin very easily. I agree you want to check both pump and SC first to rule those out, then next the engine. Squirt some light oil down the cylinders (maybe WD 40) too. The squealing is not good ... hopefully it is SC bearings and nothing else.
    I think I'll get the ski over to my house tonite or tommorrow and pull the supercharger. It looks easy enough to get to. I just have a feeling thats where the problem is. Thank you.

  7. #7
    Stockrxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,009
    +1
    1
    Dragging starter?

  8. #8
    Yamaha artisan Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,500
    +1
    55
    It could be. I can't wait to tear into this thing and figure it out. Sooner I fix it, the sooner I get to take it out and test ride it!
    My truck is in the body shop, so my other friend is gonna bring it over later tonite

  9. #9
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    You can quickly pull the SC discharge tube that goes to the throttle body...If its got silver dust in it, SC failed...

  10. #10
    Yamaha artisan Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,500
    +1
    55
    Well in that case, I think the supercharger failed. I took the duct off, stuck my fingers in there and they came out with a grey/silver something on them. I wasn't able to remove it tonite because I don't have my inverted torx sockets at home.
    I can jiggle(rotate) the the SC impeller a little bit. I'll have to just take it off tomorrow and check it out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 787 wont turn over with spark plugs in (96 GTX)
    By fire in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-12-2016, 11:11 PM
  2. 2004 Kawasaki STX-15F - cranks with spark plugs out but wont with them in.
    By sraab928 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM
  3. MSX 110 Problem with Spark Plug
    By jbo_92 in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 08:19 PM
  4. help with spark plug colors on rxt 215
    By 4pinwink in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 07:08 AM
  5. F/S 2005 RXT Riva seat cover WITH seat
    By BDNJ in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •