RAD Valve Paper Gasket Air Leaks

I dont know if I posted this in the past...my brain is near fried these days...

Was going through some phots and found these...

If you are using paper gaskets to seal the intake...take good care to make sure they are sealing correctly. I ditched the paper all together and used 1211. As you can see in the pics...the paper gaskets that come with the RAD valves leak as bad as what caused the Titanic to sink. This can create multiple havics down the road...I know some use 1211 on both sides of the paper gaskets to try and solve this issue. remember, you can help the surface seal on the paper, but the center of the gasket (which is paper) can still have voids that can pull air behind the 1211 outer seal. I suggest you 1211 the entire surface with no paper sandwhiched in between.

+1
    Hop,
    we had a RASH of engine failures over the last few years due to only using 1211. After time, the 1211 pushes out the holes and high/low spots. I burned up 2 pistons till I found it. Others had the same issues. The original thin paper gaskets were not much better, but at least you had a fighting chance.

The best choice has turned out to be the fiberous thicker gaskets. You can get them from Randy at Watcon.com

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    Hop,
    we had a RASH of engine failures over the last few years due to only using 1211. After time, the 1211 pushes out the holes and high/low spots. I burned up 2 pistons till I found it. Others had the same issues. The original thin paper gaskets were not much better, but at least you had a fighting chance.

The best choice has turned out to be the fiberous thicker gaskets. You can get them from Randy at Watcon.com
    thanks mark...this thing gets torn down pretty regularly...but i would rather use a proper gasket...i DONT like to use just silicone...but the [email protected] leaks drove me nuts last summer...so i gave up and just went all 1211.

+1
    When I was doing jetting changes a few times a week, I soaked the gaskets from Watcon in some 10w40, wiped them off, and installed them. I was able to pull them off about 10 times before they started drying out.

Thread Information