2005 VX 110 with no oil? WTF?

Hey guys, I went to change the oil in both my VX 110 and FX HO this spring, before their first trip to the lake.

FX HO, replaced filter, siphoned out old oil and put new in. No problems.

VX 110, pulled filter. Bone dry. Looked in oil tank. Bone dry. Gasp, oh crap, what has happened?

I am in dallas where it is pretty warm, and we had a warm winter. The skis were last ran mid September, and although I do not winterize them, I fire them up and rev out the water ever time we take them to the lake at end of the season.

There is some oil in the bottom of the VX, but I know it had some in the bottom from oil changes before I learned about the doggy pee pad trick when changing oil filters. I do not think it is 4 quarts worth of oil.

I always check the oil before I run them, so do you guys have any ideas? The ski has 107 hrs on it.

Did you run the engine and get it hot before the oil change? Over time the oil drains back into the system. You have to get the engine HOT to circulate the oil back into the oil tank. If you don't there won't be very much to siphon out. The engine holds 4.5 quarts, but you usually can only siphon out around 2.5 quarts out of the oil tank. The rest of the oil stays in the system. That is one reason to do more frequent oil changes on these engines........you only get about 1/2 the total amount of oil out each change.

Thanks for the response. I am familiar with how to change the oil in these; I have had the machine about 3 yrs and change the oil every 25 hrs or so.

I did not start it.

Both the oil tank and the filter were bone dry, as in, no trace of oil whatsoever.

It is almost like something blew in the engine (while it was last running) and allowed the oil pump to suck every drop of oil out of both the filter and the remote tank. The filter would not absorb any oil, which makes me thing the valve inside it was sucked closed or somehow damaged.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Where can I start looking?

Thanks!

Bump. Any body have any ideas of how that oil could have vanished? (and the machine still run).

I filled it up (new filter) and filled up the reservoir 2 wks ago when I notice this phenomenon. I did not bump it over or run it because I need to get a new battery for it. All of the oil I put in it 2 wks ago is still there.

Thanks!

no clue how the oil dissapeared, but... when you go to fire it up for the first time you can take the valve cover off and see if oil comes out of the holes the valve cover bolt holes in the cam caps. this will asure you that the engine is geting oil. as for the mystery dissapearing oil again no clue. good luck.

Thanks very much for the response.

If I pull the valve cover off, will i need to buy a new gasket when I re-install it?

Will it spray oil all over the place?

Just trying to get prepared.

+1
    VX's seem to have oil disappear only to resurface after they've been started. It has to do with the dry sump system. Dipstick will be bone dry if it hasn't been started.

If you filled it before restarting it, you probably overfilled it. once you start it up you are going to have a smoke show from too much oil. Its a common and simple issue, I hope that's really your only problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    no clue how the oil dissapeared, but... when you go to fire it up for the first time you can take the valve cover off and see if oil comes out of the holes the valve cover bolt holes in the cam caps. this will asure you that the engine is geting oil. as for the mystery dissapearing oil again no clue. good luck.
    Why not just fire it up and see if the oil warning buzzer comes on? After about 15 seconds oil should be through the system right and registering on your dip stick?

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Why not just fire it up and see if the oil warning buzzer comes on? After about 15 seconds oil should be through the system right and registering on your dip stick?
    I am planning on doing this this weekend. I would rather not wait til the oil buzzer comes on; I will catch it before that .

I just got a new battery tonight, so hopefully I will have some time to work on it this weekend.

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    VX's seem to have oil disappear only to resurface after they've been started. It has to do with the dry sump system. Dipstick will be bone dry if it hasn't been started.

If you filled it before restarting it, you probably overfilled it. once you start it up you are going to have a smoke show from too much oil. Its a common and simple issue, I hope that's really your only problem.
    Yeah me too. The weirdness is the oil filter being bone dry and the reservoir tank being bone dry. I will find out this weekend though .

Thread Information