Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Both Yamahas Stuck Today!!!

Florida is drying up.
    Took a 50 mile trip on the St. Johns last month and that wasn't too bad, but we were out in Lake County today, central Florida lakes have gotten so low it's pathetic. We desperately need some big rain. We got up into a no wake zone which turned out to be about 10 inches deep; cut the engines, got off the skis and pulled them through okay but after we got back in a little deeper water, my son's ski sucked up some cypress chips and weeds, started beeping so he shut it off.

I got some crap in mine too but I was able to get it out and go; but of course I had to go back for my son. Towed him about 100 yards through the no wake zone and just as we were clearing it, YEP - you guessed it; I sucked up something into mine again. Now mine was beeping too.

Now what? Cut mine off, we started drifting across the lake being pushed by wind gusts up to 30 mph. Eventually we drifted to the other side and pulled both skis up on the sand bank. Fortunately I had a socket wrench under the seat; so we removed the grates off both skis, cleared the pumps and finally got back on the water and went to lunch.

Moral; don't ride your ski without a wrench.
    Oh, and if you live in Florida, please pray for rain.

I remember that on my lake it was low and having to do the same..now just have to worry about sandbars..lol..

+1
    Dont gators think cypress chips Are the best kind to go with guys wading through shallow water in Florida?

+1
    Sorry bad potato chip joke! Glad u got out! Hope nothing toO serious with the skis

+1
    what I do is I carry a 1/4 round stainless steel rod 24" long with a hook in a J shape on one end and a round eye hook on the other to get my fingers through and turn the ski on the side and pull the clog material back out the intake grate opening so I don't have to remove the grate saves time. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Spring fed lake I ride on to test is good .. but the chain of lakes near by is low real low.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    what I do is I carry a 1/4 round stainless steel rod 24" long with a hook in a J shape on one end and a round eye hook on the other to get my fingers through and turn the ski on the side and pull the clog material back out the intake grate opening so I don't have to remove the grate saves time. Tommy Jordan
    this is a very good idea !!

+1
    Our lake over here are too full to much rain

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Florida is drying up.
    Took a 50 mile trip on the St. Johns last month and that wasn't too bad, but we were out in Lake County today, central Florida lakes have gotten so low it's pathetic. We desperately need some big rain. We got up into a no wake zone which turned out to be about 10 inches deep; cut the engines, got off the skis and pulled them through okay but after we got back in a little deeper water, my son's ski sucked up some cypress chips and weeds, started beeping so he shut it off.

I got some crap in mine too but I was able to get it out and go; but of course I had to go back for my son. Towed him about 100 yards through the no wake zone and just as we were clearing it, YEP - you guessed it; I sucked up something into mine again. Now mine was beeping too.

Now what? Cut mine off, we started drifting across the lake being pushed by wind gusts up to 30 mph. Eventually we drifted to the other side and pulled both skis up on the sand bank. Fortunately I had a socket wrench under the seat; so we removed the grates off both skis, cleared the pumps and finally got back on the water and went to lunch.

Moral; don't ride your ski without a wrench.
    Oh, and if you live in Florida, please pray for rain.
    Really getting bad on the south of the St Johns. Hope we can make one more trip for some out of town guests or we will have to head up to geneva area on the River.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    You carry everything but a spare motor Tommy, LOL. But we always appreciate it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    Dont gators think cypress chips Are the best kind to go with guys wading through shallow water in Florida?

We saw one the other day that was longer than my ski...

As the water levels get lower it reduces the boat traffic and the gators start coming out of the woodwork...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information