2001 seadoo GS 717 starting problems.

so im working on my buddies seadoo. when you hit start button i hear the solinoid click but sometimes the starter would turn over and others not. so i replaced the starter which need to be changed (alot of play in the shaft) and the problem is still there. not as bad as before but still there. The solinoid is clicking so didnt think that was the problem but i guess it might be. could the solinoid not be strong enough? i never heard of solinoid clicking but not working? Thanks

Those solinoids do fail quite often. It could also be the wire to the starter. Take your multi-meter or 12v test light and put it on the starter stud where the wire is held on. When you hit the button you should get 12v to the starter. You could cross the solinoid studs and see if the starter hits every time. That would mean that the wire and new starter check out. Sometimes a "click" means that the engine is hydrolic locking from a flooding carb or something else. Pull your plugs (and ground the 2 plug wires out) to see if it will spin that way.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    Those solinoids do fail quite often. It could also be the wire to the starter. Take your multi-meter or 12v test light and put it on the starter stud where the wire is held on. When you hit the button you should get 12v to the starter. You could cross the solinoid studs and see if the starter hits every time. That would mean that the wire and new starter check out. Sometimes a "click" means that the engine is hydrolic locking from a flooding carb or something else. Pull your plugs (and ground the 2 plug wires out) to see if it will spin that way.
    could be a weak battery or bad solenoid. also check your cables

Ok so I forgot to mention one cable is brand new and the other in great shape. Tested with plugs out and made no difference. Battery is good. Going to change solenoid first see what happens. Thanks everyone will keep posted.

Thread Information