Cavitation burn, replace? New impeller?

Hey guys,

So Im getting some new things from IR and I started taking things apart to get ready for them. I noticed that my stator veins had some cavitation burn on them so I took everything apart to check on it. Only the 1 vein is badly burnt. The others are starting to go as well tho. I also noticed that my impeller had some small burs and slight bends/warping on both the leading and trailing ends. Time to replace both? Is there a fix? Is there a way to prevent future cavitation? Pics below

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

The man on the Matrix
    +1
    That broken stator vane is probably contributing to the problem. Replace that and get the prop repaired. Check for wear ring damage and replace as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    That broken stator vane is probably contributing to the problem. Replace that and get the prop repaired. Check for wear ring damage and replace as necessary.
    Thank you.. the wear ring looks good still. ordered a new impeller duct from boats.net so ill get that fixed up and ill probably send the impeller to IR for repair.

anybody use the Riva performance drive cone? pros cons?

should i replace the bearings while im in there?

another question is.. anyone else notice that cajundude's website is no longer available? i tried to go there today for info on this project and it didnt work. i wanted to know what sealant to use to put the pump unit back together with. anyone know?

my pump vein has the same chip out of it. found out today when I took it apart to replace the prop. Totally sucks! I assume that will cause cavitation pretty badly, at least in mine it sems like it has anyway? I am wondering the same thing on the sealant to use puting the pump back together again?

Quote Originally Posted by Yzfman View Post
    my pump vein has the same chip out of it. found out today when I took it apart to replace the prop. Totally sucks! I assume that will cause cavitation pretty badly, at least in mine it sems like it has anyway? I am wondering the same thing on the sealant to use puting the pump back together again?
    good thing is that part is only $130 on boats.net. when i first noticed mine my first thought was "great, there goes another $300." ordered myself the new duct, bearing, and seals. gonna get some of island racing's marine jet pump grease for reassembly. as far as the sealant goes i think ive settled on the grey RTV sealant that you can get at pretty much any parts store. unless someone tells me differently thats what im gonna use. Good luck with yours!

Quote Originally Posted by 2002GP1200R View Post
    another question is.. anyone else notice that cajundude's website is no longer available? i tried to go there today for info on this project and it didnt work. i wanted to know what sealant to use to put the pump unit back together with. anyone know?
    For a pump shoe - 3m 5200 or 4200. Get the fast cure type. Typically with pumps I don't use anything. Before the impeller you need sealant to keep your shoe sealed tight.

Looks like rock damage to me BTW.

I don't need anything for the pump shoe. I'm talking about for where the impeller duct attaches to the wear ring housing and where the nozzle attaches to the impeller duct.

just a little grease if you want, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    just a little grease if you want, nothing else.
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Thread Information