Strange intermittent noise - like a bad bearing - running on hose

2005 RXT

Ran on hose checking oil level - different thread. While running once warmed up I would get an alarming noise like a bearing going out. (sounds like a cars heater fan with bad bearing) that would last 5 seconds and then nothing for a while. I would run the ski for a minute or 2 and then shut down. More often than not, it seemed to happen just as I was ready to turn the machine off. But not consistently. Only happened after the ski had run about 1 minute or so and after it was warmed up. Could this be a pump bearing? I read a couple posts where guys said their S/C made this type of noise when on a hose. Brand new SC (XCharger) on a rebuilt engine with .1 hours so far. New to S/C ski's so not sure what is acceptable noise and what it not.

Thanks,
    Greg

+1
    Carbon seal heating up, remember there is no water cooling for the seal on the hose. I first noticed this after installing the SF bellow band. Even tried useing an 1/8" copper tube hooked to the hose for a squiter (slide up past the shaft) up into the bellow from under the ski, no good, still same noise after only about a minute or so. I just dont run it on the hose more than a minute anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Carbon seal heating up, remember there is no water cooling for the seal on the hose. I first noticed this after installing the SF bellow band. Even tried useing an 1/8" copper tube hooked to the hose for a squiter (slide up past the shaft) up into the bellow from under the ski, no good, still same noise after only about a minute or so. I just dont run it on the hose more than a minute anymore.
    OK Good - I was wondering if the Carbon Seal was the culprit. So would it be ruined if it made that noise?

Thanks,
    Greg

+1
    No, if you dont just keep running it like that it should be ok. First trip back out stay close to shore and ride it for a short while then pull the seat and check for water in the hull.

Thread Information