Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ft. Bragg about to be Eglin AFB, Destin Fl.

2010 RXP-X 255 Burns Oil

So I was on the water today and my oil warning came on for a split second. So in good nature I decided to stop riding and check the oil level immediately. The oil on the dip stick indicates that the motor is almost out of oil. What caused this to burn all the oil? Is it a bad seal somewhere? I am not sure how long it has been burning oil. Would it be wise to fill the oil and ride and check to see how much oil it burns?

+1
    When was the last time you changed the oil? Wouldn't think it is burning oil but if it was on the low side to start and with a little blow by???? Maybe the IC has that missing oil?

+1
    I am going to say you are not burning oil at all, but is leaking oil out of the PTO (Power Take Off) shaft seal (drive shaft into rear of engine), and then being purged out of the ski through the bailer tube system. This is what happened to my 2010 X 260 last year. Does your hull have a oily film under the drive shaft area under the pto seal and under the engine? Are the bailer tubes no longer clear and oily looking? IF so, this IS your problem.

In 2010 BRP changed the drive shaft C-clip setup of years past to a new configuration that was prone to failure, leaking seals, drive shaft spline failure, etc. Long story that I will not go into here. Several of us had SeaDoo replace the 2010 setup with a 2011+ setup, which went back to the old 2009 and earlier configuration. Bottom line, drive shaft and pto seal failures fixed.

See post #1253 in this thread for pics of this seal:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...18530&page=126

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I am going to say you are not burning oil at all, but is leaking oil out of the PTO (Power Take Off) shaft seal (drive shaft into rear of engine), and then being purged out of the ski through the bailer tube system. This is what happened to my 2010 X 260 last year. Does your hull have a oily film under the drive shaft area under the pto seal and under the engine? Are the bailer tubes no longer clear and oily looking? IF so, this IS your problem.

In 2010 BRP changed the drive shaft C-clip setup of years past to a new configuration that was prone to failure, leaking seals, drive shaft spline failure, etc. Long story that I will not go into here. Several of us had SeaDoo replace the 2010 setup with a 2011+ setup, which went back to the old 2009 and earlier configuration. Bottom line, drive shaft and pto seal failures fixed.

See post #1253 in this thread for pics of this seal:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...18530&page=126
    Not sure about any other ski, but the 09 RXPX has the same set up as the 2010. The 2011 RXPX went back to the old 08 set up.

+1
    They had this setup in 09 and 10.

Hi All,

Im curious if theres anyone that can help me out here.

I own a 2010 RXP-X 255 its currently got 75 hours on it. Recently I have noticed that my jet ski seems to burning up oil or eating up oil somehow. Id re-fill an average of 2 LTRS of oil for every 4 to 5 hours used. Is that normal ?

I do have a Riva Exhaust + Air Filter installed, could this be the cause of the excessive oil being used up ? Its getting pretty expensive for me to keep topping it up just to have an outing with it.

My mechanic tells me that he is 99% sure that it must be the oil cooler. According to him somethings wrong with it and if I replace the oil cooler my problem will be solved.

I do not see any resedue of oil in the hull after using the jetski, nor do I see oil come out from the exhaust when flushing. But while driving, I do see white smoke coming out from the exhaust, is this normal ? My mechanic says its normal.

Confused and not sure what to do.

Thanks guys !

+1
    Do you have a catch can installed?

If that comes on a stock RXP then yes, otherwise, I didnt install one my self.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr_900r View Post
    If that comes on a stock RXP then yes, otherwise, I didnt install one my self.
    They aren't stock

So the reason why I need to keep topping up oil is coz I dont have a catch can ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information