Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 STX-12F Fix or part out? Engine came in pieces.

Alright guys, I have been a pretty solid stand up ski rider for the last 10 years and know nothing about 4-strokes but I picked this up last night and am trying to figure out if I should fix it or just part it out. I actually bought it for the trailer but now that it is in my garage...decisions, decisions.

The engine is already in pieces, and I mean pieces. The previous owner even stripped all the valves out of the head for some unknown reason. It came apart originally because of a failed piston. At a quick glance, one cylinder apears to have a small score in it but I haven't dug deep enough to see how bad it is. I believe they are a Nikasil coated cylinder so it's not as cheap and simple as boring or honing.

Anyways, I am not familiar with 4 stroke skis so I am open to opinions, suggestions and your input.

P.S. The trailer is already spoken for.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If the crankcase is in good shape it might be worth saving, if not part it out. These skis did not come with stainless valves so they may have been rust damaged, I know all 16 were beyond usefulness in my 15 and I replaced them with ferrea valves. Post a picture of the cylinders and pistons.

Sean

The crank and cases look perfect still but the top end sat with water in it. Corrosion ate into one of the cylinder walls and pitted the underside of the heads. The pistons and rods look good still which surprises me. Kinda wondering how they got water into it. Thinking they flipped it, righted it wrong and then couldn't start it. Starter looks brand new and so does the battery so all typical newb bases were covered. Too bad they never pulled the plugs.

+1
    If you decide to part it, I'm interested in the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra8 View Post
    If you decide to part it, I'm interested in the seat.
    Do you want the entire seat or just the hydro turf cover? It's quite large but surprisingly light. I can get measurements and a shipping quote today if you would like.

I would be interested in the whole thing. Will come pick-up. Let me know what you are looking to get. I want a project boat and this will fit the bill nicely.

I knew if I completely dismantled the entire ski, somebody would want it whole, lol.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Depending on the shape of the head it might be worth fixing. I think the valves, springs, collets, seals, and retainers are around 500 and to fix the cylinders runs around 600.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by powertoys View Post
    I would be interested in the whole thing. Will come pick-up. Let me know what you are looking to get. I want a project boat and this will fit the bill nicely.
    Are you sure about that...

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Depending on the shape of the head it might be worth fixing. I think the valves, springs, collets, seals, and retainers are around 500 and to fix the cylinders runs around 600.

Sean
    Well that certainly won't be happening by me so I guess they will be offered up as cores for somebody who sees the value in them.

+1
    You didn't waste much time, tearing that down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information