2007 RXP dies now won't start

Hey guys. New to the site but I spent a lot of time searching for previously posted questions to see if they could help me. No luck. I just purchased a 2007 RXP with 33 hours. The guy lived on the lake and rarely used it. Go figure. Anyway, he swung it by his marina to have the mechanics give it a once-over and installed a new battery and programmed a new key. They told him everything else was good to go. It had been sitting for a year and a half but still started right up. Everything sounded fine. He didn't have any gas in it so I filled it up with premium and put some sea foam into it before heading to the lake today. Everything was fine but as soon as I left the wake zone and opened it up a bit it felt very sluggish and didn't really respond when I hit the throttle. It maxed at 35 then started losing power like it was choking out. I let off the gas and it died. Started it back up and repeated this process a few times. Sometimes I could only get to 8-15 mph with WOT. I thought it may have been some bad gas since it sat so long. After this die and start process it finally wouldn't fire at all. It turns but no start. I don't see any damage in the engine or water in the compartment. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed. I didn't have new spark plugs since O'reilly's only ordered 1 instead of 3 so I didn't bother pulling them to see if there's anything in there. The key beeps when I put it in and no error codes come up. It does flash MAINT for a second but it goes away. I heard that was normal, but correct me if I'm wrong. Any ideas are greatly appreciated so I won't have to pay a mechanic for something small and stupid that I could have done. You guys seem like you know your stuff so I hope to find the right answer here. Thanks again, guys!

I would say new plugs. Seafoam may have loosened some deposits.

Thanks for the reply. The way it was acting really makes me think it's the plugs. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Anything else I should check while I'm at it?

Quote Originally Posted by 8 is enough View Post
    I would say new plugs. Seafoam may have loosened some deposits.
    +1

I'd try some new plugs first and give it a ride

+1
    Fairly good chance that its a fuelling issue with it sitting so long. New Plugs as others have said and check all your hoses. Injector cleaning.
    Does not sound like the issue you are having but have you checked the SC? At 33 hrs it should be find but it's a few yrs old and sitting for a long period, so would be nice to inspect and varify slip IMO.

Was the engine running really rough or just bogging down?

Thanks for the reply. At first the engine seemed fine. Started up right away and no vibrations coming out of the wake zone. As it died it seemed to act like it ran out of gas. A little lurching forward and as I held the throttle full open it was going 8 mph. Seemed more to bog down to no performace and then die then running really rough. When it was responding it was very smooth. I'm taking off work early to mess with it this afternoon. Hopefully, the auto store has all of my plugs this time. Anything else you think it could be? Dirty fuel lines or clogged filters cause this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trimble View Post
    Thanks for the reply. At first the engine seemed fine. Started up right away and no vibrations coming out of the wake zone. As it died it seemed to act like it ran out of gas. A little lurching forward and as I held the throttle full open it was going 8 mph. Seemed more to bog down to no performace and then die then running really rough. When it was responding it was very smooth. I'm taking off work early to mess with it this afternoon. Hopefully, the auto store has all of my plugs this time. Anything else you think it could be? Dirty fuel lines or clogged filters cause this?
    Yeah the injectors have screens in them next would be to have them cleaned and serviced, or if you can borrow some you know are good swap them over to verify if it fixes your issue you know yours need cleaning.
    There is also a filter on the pump pickup, I'm not sure that would cause your issue unless you had a serious amount of crap in the tank.

The Coils can get water in them swell an go bad also so that's worth a look.
    Sure you had no moisture/ water in the tank?

Process of elimination, don't go tearing everything apart untill you start with new plugs, my money would be on that as it may not have started at all after running for a bit because they completely fouled.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes this afternoon. Btw, nice ski you have there.

Well it started right up today when I got there. I changed the plugs anyway and took it to the lake. Ran perfectly. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Thread Information