1000zxi CDI in 900zxi?

So here's the story... Some moron rode my 95 900zxi ski too fast near the shore and hit a boat, wrecking the hull. I bought a 98 1100zxi with a blown motor and had my friendly jet ski mechanic swap the good engine (ran fine even after accident with no compression loss or damage) into the 1100 hull. He left the 1100 CDI box in assuming it was the same as the 900zxi box. This happened late in the summer so I only got to take the ski out once after the swap and it ran fine right up until about 30-35mph then it seemed to hit a wall. RPMs wouldn't go any higher, ski wouldn't go any faster (the impeller is brand new btw. The day of the wreck was the first day on the new impeller and I didn't even get a chance to ride ). After looking into it, some of the fuel lines were cracked and fuel did leak quite a bit. I understand that the whole problem could very well be not having enough fuel pressure due to the cracked lines. I replaced them and am waiting for the weather to get a little warmer in MI to see how it runs.

In the meantime, I would like to find out if there is a difference in the timing between the 1995 900zxi cdi box and the 1998 1100zxi cdi box. Basically, are they interchangeable? I was going to go ahead and just swap them but noticed that the 1100zxi cdi box has one extra harness and it's actually plugged in to something. I'm guessing it's for automatic trim since the 95 didn't have that??

Sorry for the super long post but I was hoping to get some input from some of you knowledgeable Kawi guys. It seems like the threads that asked this question on other sites never get an answer...

I will let you know tomorrow..I have a 98 1100..My buddy owns a shop..he will know for sure!

Update** Had an 80 degree day yesterday so I took the Jet ski out. I replaced all of the fuel lines before hand and made sure everything was nice and tight in the fuel system. Got it started and it idles at about 2k rpms which is way too high. When I would try to take off it would start going right up until about 4k-4500 rpms and then it would just cut out. Tried this out multiple times. Looks like I'm going to have to switch out the CDI box and see if that helps. Anyone happen to have pinout (or cable out?) of the CDI box so that I can figure out what the extra cable in the 1100 is for?

+1
    The 1100 ZXi had the KATS automatic trim system, perhaps that's what it's for. What color wires & what shape if the plug?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The 1100 ZXi had the KATS automatic trim system, perhaps that's what it's for. What color wires & what shape if the plug?
    Yeah that's what I assumed it would be. I guess I could do without the KATS or maybe find a way to add that piece of the circuit into the 900zxi box. Can anyone confirm that timing is in fact different?

The 1100 has longer rods than the 900..the timing is different/you need the 900 ignition system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulefoot View Post
    The 1100 has longer rods than the 900..the timing is different/you need the 900 ignition system.
    Thanks, I'm going to switch it out tomorrow and report back as soon as I get back out on the water.

Thread Information