Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The New Yamaha SHO for Offshore Racing

Interested in specific feedback from those who are racing / riding this craft offshore. How is the craft performing for you? Ride characteristics? Strengths and weaknesses etc.

Thank you........

+1
    i would update your clutch and intermediate gear if you are racing off shore it will take a right pounding. apart from that the ski is good off shore.

+1
    Mark,

Only one way to know for sure, buy one
    Or ask JB to let you ride his for a trip!

What I read from his report sounds like Magic has happened from their older hull design.
    Yamaha should make me a deal on one of those in return for 250 hours of time to be had in one year!

+1
    Two cents and not worth more....Problem with the SHO offshore is weight. I am not a racer but what I read is that the Kawi is dominant in offshore racing and really the only explanation for me is weight. SHO is longer, more reliable but, 20% or so lighter. So when the Kawi is beefed up the SHO has no advantage. This is arguable for sure but at the end of the day, Kawi is the ski to beat in offshore racing. I have made this argument before in other posts but the Kawi bridges the gap between boat and ski (LL says the SHO is longer which is true but a ocean vessel is not measured by length but more by weight/displacement). Don't hate, but if I put a 400HP engine in a ski that weighs 2,000lbs in the ocean against a 800lb ski...it will win most of the time. Just intuitive.

I have a 23' 8,000lb Donzi ZF which is designed to fish in "all weather" Kingfish tournaments (most in this size weigh 6,000lbs or less but the length limit in the tournaments is 23'). They compete best in foul offshore weather. Sort of the same comparison.

Anyway. Sea Doo and Yamaha seem more focused on the average consumer. So when the vultures come down....again. Two cents won't buy you a piece of bubble gum. Just opinion.

+1
    Vince,

It's the handling and hook up that matters in rough water. As you pointed out weight of Kawi is a big contributing factor but it also has a great V hull! My Yami bounces way more than any of my friend's doos! When I am airborn, they are hooked on the water but riding a doo at least the ones I have tried is no where as pleasant as my Yami when its choppy even with the bounce that I experience! Reason I brought up the doo is the fact the ones I have tried are in the same weight range as mine so hull design can be extremely relevant! If new Yami hull and maybe pump/ride plate design have resolved the hook up and bounce issue without being a heavier boat, it can be a real contender!

JB was saying the new Yami feels almost the same from full tank to 1/2 and even close to empty! If that's truly the case then they may have found the recipe for a good hook up! I am not sure if JB had prior experience with FX HO hull of older models so he could compare that! If not, it'd be hard to compare the 2011 and older Yami to the new Yami unless we get to ride it

I totally agree, Yami focuses on average rider and Seadoo more so by all the gadgets they have! I won't be surprised if Kawi very soon focuses on those aspects to gain more customer!

Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Two cents and not worth more....Problem with the SHO offshore is weight. I am not a racer but what I read is that the Kawi is dominant in offshore racing and really the only explanation for me is weight. SHO is longer, more reliable but, 20% or so lighter. So when the Kawi is beefed up the SHO has no advantage. This is arguable for sure but at the end of the day, Kawi is the ski to beat in offshore racing. I have made this argument before in other posts but the Kawi bridges the gap between boat and ski (LL says the SHO is longer which is true but a ocean vessel is not measured by length but more by weight/displacement). Don't hate, but if I put a 400HP engine in a ski that weighs 2,000lbs in the ocean against a 800lb ski...it will win most of the time. Just intuitive.

I have a 23' 8,000lb Donzi ZF which is designed to fish in "all weather" Kingfish tournaments (most in this size weigh 6,000lbs or less but the length limit in the tournaments is 23'). They compete best in foul offshore weather. Sort of the same comparison.

Anyway. Sea Doo and Yamaha seem more focused on the average consumer. So when the vultures come down....again. Two cents won't buy you a piece of bubble gum. Just opinion.
    Since my initials are LL, I guess you are referring to me so I will take a moment to respond.

When I said that the SHO was longer, it mentioning that the 2012 FX SHO (140.2") was 8 inches longer when compared to 2008-2011 FX SHO (132.7") model, I don't recall ever making comparison references of the hull lengths between the Ultra300 and the SHO.

In the future please be sure you are right before making posts and mentioning others, or just sticking with what you know as you've done so well enlightening us on your vast knowledge of how tuning is so easy and how the supercharger clutch issue is BS.

This thread is timely (for this Post). Yes, the Ultra will displace more water than the new FX SHO in most scenarios. But this last weekend I really got a chance to push the FX at a good extended clip in some swells and chop. And safe to say now that the new FX Hull tracks very straight and and very true in ALL types of water. The new FX Hull is longer, and has a longer V in the Hull than anything else out there. This, IMO, appears to give this Ski an edge in its abillity to track straight in virtually all types of water. As far as "hook up" goes, I would say the Ultra does that as good or better than any other Ski that I have tried. Net Net, the new FX Hull maintains its trackability 100% of the time without waiver. This, again IMO, cannot be said 100% of the time on any other Ski I have tried. JB

+1
    Can't we all just get along.

The longer keel is the first thing that pops out at you on the new hull. It goes back all the way to where the tunnel starts. As JB mentioned it looks like it it should really help the straight line tracking & stability offshore. My biggest question is how much agility the new design will sacrifice in flat water. One of the things I like most about the previous FX hull is the versatility. Although very good, it wasn't the best offshore hull, but still managed to be pretty nimble for a ski of that size in calmer riding conditions.

Another significant new design feature is the 2012 has a really long tunnel. That should be great for helping to keep the pump loaded when the hull comes out of the water briefly, as well as lessening the abuse on the clutch.

Can't wait to get a ride on one. I'll definately be going down to the Riva show next month to take a demo ride.

+1
    The more I read, more I am excited about this new design Awesome!

+1
    JB/mjh ...Haven't rode the '12 SHO with longer tunnel. Arguably tracking can be overcome by the rider but staying hooked up is all about the ski (minus throttle control which is the reason most SC bust). I have not rode the Kawi (but hope to be doing so soon). I think it is a awesome machine just based on what I read and isn't that a lot of the fun of what we do? We can't all experience every ski in every condition no matter how enthusiastic about the sport we are. There are very few 300's here in my area. But the specs are impressive, their winning recent winning performances are undeniable.

Have a look at the original question by SoCal. Feedback is what he is asking for. Recent ocean racing results point out are that the '12 SHO in the coming year has pretty much has one ski to beat...the 300. Why? I think because the ski can stay hooked up because it is heavier. I hadn't considered the longer tunnel. Isn't tracking of a hull more significant if you are moving slower when the hull is touching the water? In ocean riding (waves) you are ride plate and jet nozzle almost entirely. The longer tunnel might not mean much if the rear 1/3 can't stay down and therefore hooked up. Boat racing hulls hardly touch the water at all except for the prop but have the weight and throttle man skills to keep the boat in the water at maximum rpm. I'd argue the hull breaks the water and is very quickly out of it with each crest of a wave.

A question for another post might be under what conditions is a longer tunnel a benefit (smooth water?) and a detriment (rough or in a slalom). Jetskis and boats are like women. They are all beautiful. Just that some are built for speed, utility and reliability and others for looks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information